Title : Youth Development Officer (YDO)
Duty station : Regional Office – Kampala, Uganda
Type of contract : Fixed term
Duration : 1 year
Reports to : Regional Business Development and
Communications Manager (RBDCM)
About Strømme Foundation
Strømme Foundation (SF) is a Norwegian International Non-Governmental Organisation. From its Head Office in Kristiansand (KRS), Norway, SF works through a decentralised
structure comprising of Regional and Country Offices in Asia, West Africa, and East Africa, to implement projects in the areas of promoting education, job creation and human rights and advocacy. SF’s field structure works closely with local partners in implementing projects and programmes.
The Youth Development Officer Role Through the Youth Development Officer (YDO) role, SF is looking forward to increasing the voice and participation of youth in SF’s programme delivery and decision making at all levels. Acting as a focal point, the YDO will support the development and implementation of a regional youth engagement framework. He/ She will provide technical support to the SFEA regional office and partners on youth-led collective action and drive work around meaningful youth participation in programme delivery and influencing. The YDO role will see our partner organisations implement programmes and projects where youths and adults share ideas and collectively contribute
to decision making.
1. Support engagement strategies for youth in SF programmes and influencing initiatives.
2. Promote and support youth volunteering.
3. Support visibility for youth participation and volunteering.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support engagement strategies for youth in SF programs and influencing initiatives.
• Attend and participate in SFEA staff meetings, learning and innovation meetings, and training initiatives on leadership, empowerment, and governance.
• Map out relevant projects implemented by SFEA for deliberate youth provision and participation considerations during planning, reviews, and implementation.
• Support formation of Bonga alumni forums and encourage youth participation, sharing, learning, and networking.
• Work with the Program Development and Influencing (PDI) and BDC teams to map existing youth networks, coalitions, and alliances aligned to SF ambition and support building partnerships and connections for youth.
• Liaise with SFEA regional teams on development of appropriate youth engagement procedures and processes.
• Ensure mutual capacity building efforts and information sharing with partners on meaningful youth participation in programme implementation and influencing initiatives.
2. Promote and support youth volunteering.
• Support and participate in organisation for and orientations for Act Now volunteers.
• Participate in development of all KRS required communication materials (Photos, videos, etc) on ACT Now volunteer programme.
• Support the organisation and participation in follow-up seminars for Act Now volunteers to catch up on what they are doing and learn more together
• Support and participate in periodic updates of visitor’s guide for use by SF staff and partners.
3. Support visibility for youth volunteering and participation.
• Implement a digital engagement drive to ensure visibility of SF work with youths and facilitate sharing and learning among volunteers and YDOs within the region and beyond.
• Participate in the design of social media posts, infographics, animations, and other visuals to enhance youth-friendly communication efforts for SF – promoting special messages around youth participation and activism.
• Support documentation of youth-led initiatives and stories to support SFEA advocacy and resource mobilisation objectives and initiatives.
University degree in a relevant field of study such as Development studies, social sciences, Business Administration, Communications, International relations, etc.
Experience and Skills
• At least 1 year experience of working with young people in a youth work setting or working for an NGO in a similar position.
• Demonstrated interest in youth development, participation, and inclusion.
• Experience of volunteering and/ promoting volunteering and delivering support services.
• Experience coordinating digital campaigns geared towards youth volunteering and/ participation.
• Experience of producing publicity materials for external audiences.
• Knowledge of working directly with youth in participatory ways to develop youth-led influencing strategies and campaigns for policy change.
• Understanding of youth activism and engagement approaches and trends in East Africa.
• Good understanding of development and humanitarian sectors and socio-cultural contexts in which SF operates in East Africa region.
• Excellent IT, written and verbal communication skills.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
• Strong personal commitment to the values, goals, and Rights Based Approach of SF.
Interacts daily with the Regional Business Development and Communications Manager, Regional Communications and Public Relations Officer, Communications Intern, and SFEA
Interacts with implementing partners, Institutions, media, donors, Specialists, and other Stakeholders.
Send your application,Cover Letter, Curriculum vitae, and contacts of three referees to:
The Regional Director, Strømme Foundation East Africa,
Plot 1, Kololo Hill Drive, P.O Box 27200, Kampala.
Or send by email to: [email protected] by Friday, 01st October 2021.
Please note: Any cases of canvassing or lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda