Makerere University School of Public Health, has received funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) to implement a project on Campaign worker digital payment evidence building. The project is anchored at Makerere University, Uganda, and the University of Dakar, Senegal to catalyze the creation of evidence on digitized payments of health workers for immunization programs/campaigns in selected Anglophone and Francophone countries. This project aims at enhancing and informing national, regional, and global efforts to digitize payments for health workers by fostering and supporting evidence-based and evidence-driven decision-making in Sub-Saharan Africa. The project seeks to recruit the following personnel to support the implementation of its activities.
Position: Translator (English-French) – (01)
Reporting Relations: The Translator will directly work under the overall supervision of the Makerere University Hub Director and the Centre Director.
Duty Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Translator will be responsible for the overall translation of project materials and interpreting written and audio pieces in both English and French, making sure to maintain their original meaning, format, and tone.
Ultimately, the Translator will provide ready-to-use translated content that meets our internal needs and helps us reach a broader audience.
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from French to English
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations for French
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check the quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling, and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and partners to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g., font and structure)
- Interpret for the francophone audience during project meetings
Qualifications and Desirable Qualities
- Excellent writing skills, translation skills, relevant academic documents from a recognized University; registration in the relevant professional body and any previous publications to demonstrate excellent writing.
- At least five years of experience in translation of multiple research/project materials, or health-related projects or programs that are multi-country in nature.
- Experience in working with international partners is essential.
- Experience in working in digital health, digital payments, and immunization campaigns is an added advantage
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience with managing data, information, and monitoring and evaluation of health programs at sub-national and national levels.
- Previous work experience or collaboration in a donor-funded project is desirable.
- Ability to work independently, strong interpersonal communication and the ability to work with diverse teams as well as meet deadlines are necessary qualities.
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter, or similar role
- Fluency in at least two languages in addition to your native language
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools and familiarity with translation software
- Time-management skills
- Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
Duration: The position is renewable on annual basis upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 1st July 2022 at 5:00 PM
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda