|Position:||Senior Water Resources Management Specialist|
|Service Type||Project Position|
|Organizational Unit:||Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat,|
|Duty Station:||Entebbe Uganda|
|Approx. Contract period:||1 September 2021 – 31 June 2022|
|Reports to:||Deputy Executive Director/Head of the Basin-WideProgram and Water Resources Management|
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is a cooperative arrangement initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection and management of the common Nile Basin water resources. NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization and, benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources’. A wide range of programs and projects are currently under varying stages of identification, preparation and implementation under NBI designed to contribute towards the realization of the NBI Shared Vision. To achieve the Shared Vision Objective, NBI implements three core functions:
Basin Cooperation: To facilitate, support and nurture cooperation amongst the Nile Basin countries so as to promote timely and efficient joint actions required for securing benefit from the common Nile Basin water resources.
Water Resources Management: To assess, manage and safeguard the water resource base that supports the peoples of the Nile Basin through applying the principles of knowledge-based integrated water resources management to water development planning and assessment.
Water Resources Development: To identify, prepare and facilitate investment in regional/trans-boundary water development projects and programs while avoiding negative impacts on the health of the Nile Basin’s resources through applying the principles of integrated water resources management.
Nile-SEC intends to hire a qualified professional for the position of Senior Water Resources Management Specialist. The job description for this position is as follows:
The Nile-Sec has embarked on its five year Basin Wide Program 2017 – 2022 (BWP) implementation with substantial component on transboundary water resources management. The BWP covers work streams on water security, agricultural water management, environmental sustainability, climate change and transboundary water governance.
With funding from the EU-BMZ Project “Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin”, the Nile-Sec is interested to hire the service of senior level water resources management specialist (Senior Water Resources Management Specialist).
The Senior Water Resources Management Specialist will be stationed at the Nile-Sec and travel throughout the Nile Basin riparian countries and outside the Nile Basin as required.
The Senior Water Resources Management Specialist shall assist the Deputy Executive Director/Head of Basin-Wide Program and Water Resources Management (DED-HBWP/WRM) in the implementation of the work streams of the NBI Basin Wide Programme, with focus on: water security, agricultural water management, environment and climate change. S/He shall also assist in the supervision of the works of the water resources team. He/she shall provide technical and operational oversight to the water resources planning, analytic work, knowledge and policy functions, basin monitoring and associated staff comprising a range of technical and professional specialists, and the technical systems that underpin the department’s capabilities.
- Support the strategic water resources analysis process
- Assist the DED-HBWP/WRM in the planning, implementation and day to day management of the second phase of the strategic water resources analysis;
- Liaise with NBI member countries to solicit data, information and feedbacks as part of the strategic analysis process;
- Provide technical expertise in water resources scenario analysis and planning;
- Support the generation, analysis and evaluation of strategic options as part of the strategic water resources analysis;
- Support the organization of workshops, trainings and experience exchange events planned as part of the strategic analysis process;
- Support in basin water resources management planning and basin-wide investment preparation
- Provide technical oversight and operations level management on specific hydrology and water resources studies, as well as climate change studies as required in supporting development of sustainable water resources planning and management in the NBI countries and across the Nile Basin.
- Support the conceptualization, planning and preparation of the basin water resources plans and a derived investment program;
- Support translation and packaging of strategic water resources options into water resources management and infrastructure investment building blocks;
- Based on the identified water resources management building blocks, support the preparation of the first ever basin-wide water resources management plan for the Nile Basin;
- Provide technical expertise and technical support in translating the infrastructure building blocks into a basin-wide investment program;
- Support implementation of Basin-Wide Program
- Provide programmatic oversight and guidance to the water resources team
- Plan, organize and implement activities of the water resources related work streams, including identification of strategic as well as operational priorities, preparation of concept notes and proposals, development of work plan and budget, and day to day supervision of implementation the program;
- Ensure that water resources team is well-informed, and oversight their personal development plans. Ensure timely finalization of staff development plan as per the guidance from the DED-HBWP/WRM;
- Develop and keep under continuous review work plans and budgets in alignment with the Nile-SEC budgeting cycle.
- Under the guidance of the DED-HBWP/WRM, prepare WRM-related programs and projects for mobilization of funds in line with the NBI 10 year strategy and the five year Basin-wide program.
- Provide the necessary expertise and leadership to ensure the smooth operation of the Nile-DSS at the Nile-SEC, SAPs and NBI countries.
- Support member country capacity development
- Assess the capacity gap and needs of NBI member countries and plan their support.
- Promote the use of knowledge and tools available at the Nile Sec and in the regional centers
- Liaise with Universities in the region in view to introduce the use of the Nile Basin Decision Support System (NB DSS) in their curriculum or practical works.
- Carry out other tasks as per the request from the DED-HBWP/WRM;
Academic /Professional Qualifications & Experience
At least M.Sc. (Ph.D. is preferable) in water resources engineering, water resources planning and management, hydrology, civil engineering (with specialization in hydrology or water resources) or closely related fields;
Experience & Skills Required
- At least ten (10) years (after MSc degree) relevant experience in water resources planning, including significant high-level experience in leading and managing integrated water resources management and basin planning processes; particularly in a shared river-basin management context.
- Demonstrated experience in leading multi-disciplinary professional team (for at least 5 years) for water resources planning, management and development from a river basin perspective;
- Excellent understanding and proven ability in resource assessments and river flow simulation models for both policy development and operational purposes;
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate the water resources planning outcomes in ways that are relevant to management and stakeholder decision-making.
- Demonstrated experience with application of modern trans-boundary water management principles and associated national/international water law principles,
- A proven capacity to take an innovative and strategic approach to the formulation of water policy at a national or regional level.
- Proven experience in developing basin/water resources investment plans and engaging with the relevant ministries in a cross –sectoral approach (water, agriculture, energy, environment, finance and planning)
- A demonstrated understanding of international and trans-boundary aspects of the management of shared river basins and the ability to apply this understanding to policy and strategy development in a shared river-basin context.
- Proven capacity to operate in a constructive and highly consultative manner in a complex political environment, particularly where conflicting interests are involved.
- Experience in leading team processes of professional staff in an organization is a requirement.
- Proven ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment and to interact positively with a wide range of stakeholders within an international and multi-government context.
- Proven ability to exercise high-level inter-personal skills in all situations, in particular, in engaging with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team. .
- Excellent written and spoken communication, including high-level fluency in the English language and an ability to transmit ideas and information in a clear, accurate and effective manner. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
The Senior Water Resources Management Specialist shall be stationed at the Nile-Sec, Entebbe during the contract period, and work closely with water resources team under the overall supervision of the DED-HBWP/WRM of the Nile-Sec. The Specialist reports to the DED-HBWP/WRM or his designate.
Duration/Period of Service
This is a Regional Position with an initial employment duration of one year with a six month probation period. The contract may be extended to 6 years renewable annually based on satisfactory performance, availability of funds and need for the services.
The Employee will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
How to apply:
Interested and Suitably qualified individuals should submit their applications electronically to the Executive Director at: [email protected]. Application/cover letters clearly indicating the title of the position and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 17th September, 2021 at 2:00pm Local Time in Entebbe, Uganda). Please do not attach copies of your Academic & professional certificates and testimonials- these will be requested during interview period.
Your CV should and must clearly indicate full contacts of Three (3) referees and two (2) former employers excluding the current employer. Only short listed candidates will be contacted and women candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Entebbe, Uganda