Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) anticipates the award of a three-year grant titled Program on Research for COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness (PROVE). IDI will partner with Africa Union, Africa CDC and Master Card Foundation to implement the Saving Lives and Livelihoods Initiative across the Africa continent. The major goal is to estimate the real-world effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination in Africa and compare the risk for severe outcomes of COVID-19 disease in fully vaccinated individuals with laboratory confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection (vaccine breakthrough infections) with those in unvaccinated and partially vaccinate individuals. Other program objectives will include understanding the barriers and enablers of COVID-19 vaccination in Africa and of Impact of COVID-19 vaccination on the routine national immunization programmes. In the current phase, approximately 25 countries will be supported to roll out standardized protocols to answer questions relevant to the program objectives.
The Senior Project Manager will be in-charge of the daily operations of the program, serve as the secretary of the scientific committee that will include all the investigators and supervise the recruited program team. The role will include coordinating partners in different AU member states and ensuring the science driven evidence informs public health action to inform CoVID-19 vaccination roll-out towards the set WHO, Africa CDC and country specific targets. S/he formulate workplans to schedule program work, oversee daily operations, coordinate the activities of the program and set priorities for managing the same.
- In collaboration with the GHS department leadership, committees provide operational level planning, design and implementation of the regional based program.
- In-charge of the daily operations of the PROVE and ensure all the different committees are optimally functional.
- Support the coordination of the different partners including in-country, African Union, Africa CDC and MasterCard Foundation.
- Serve as the secretary to the scientific committee that comprises of the investigators, health technology, data management and statistics.
- Support the scientific committee with development, review and deployment of the developed research protocols.
- Ensure that there is linkage of implementation science to public health action to ensure rapid dissemination of findings to inform national CoVID-19 vaccination
- Manage the e-collaborative platforms for remote working and ensure efficiency with information sharing.
- Write scientific reports, manuscripts and policy briefs for dissemination.
- To develop a communication plan to ensure prompt escalation of challenges and or bottle-necks and develop mutually agreeable solutions
- Liaise with procurement to ensure timely requisition of supplies for the Program.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports as per the program guidelines.
- Supervises staff and ensure that they achieve the aims and objectives of the Program.
- Participates in development and control of budgets in accordance with financial guidelines.
- Establish tracking system for abstracts, manuscripts and other grey literature arising from the program.
- Engage with the health technology team and ensure smooth integration of e-health platforms into the program objectives.
- Any other roles as assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Five years’ (5) experience in program management includes multi-country grants.
- Ability to work with partners and other leadership to achieve program objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Should be fluent in oral and written English. French is an added advantage.
- Should be a highly motivated person and should be able to work under a high workload.
- Competent in the use of standard office software.
- Ability to work in a team but also work independently.
- Flexibility to work long hours, which may occasionally extend beyond normal working hours in order to complete critical tasks.
- Experience working with Ministry of Health with periodic engagement of public health teams
- Demonstrated experience in conducting and managing research especially in the field of implementation science.
- Demonstrated experience in program management preferably with multi partners and/or countries.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proven ability to coordinate complex programs with diverse range of partners.
- Masters in Medicine, Laboratory Sciences, Public Health or related field is required
- Degree in any of the above disciplines is essential or other health related field
- Other courses in the above disciplines are an added advantage.
- Diploma or advanced certificate in project planning and management is an added advantage
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda