Senior Communications Officer
Reports to: Director General
Salary Grade: UR 4
Overall Responsibility: To develop communication strategies aimed at promoting visibility and enhancing the organizations’ image, including serving as a spokesperson for the organization.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
- Review media and pick out areas of concern to the institution
- Draft and submit responses to public inquiries
- Develop, review and update the public relations and communications policies of the organisation;
- Plan, monitor and coordinate implementation of the corporate social responsibility and the corporate social investments activities of the organisation in line with the organisation’s mandate;
- Participate in NARO events organised locally, regional and international events to identify leaning points and engaging on the key issues identified in line with the public relations policies and procedures;
- Receive and review complaints, respond to queries, advise stakeholders and make recommendations to the Director General in line with the policy and guideline;
- Keep close contact and watching media houses on publications/stories that may affect the reputation of the NARO;
- Promote the organization visibility among the public by proactively ensuring that the organisation’s events and achievements attract attention and publicity in the media;
- Champion the development and maintenance of NAROs corporate brand;
- Develop and disseminate public information and educational materials on NARO in line with the policies and procedures;
- Develop and maintain a system for documenting information useful to the organisation in line with the guidelines;
- Provide support in internal communication and customer care
- Develop the annual public relations and corporate communications work-plan and coordinate its implementation in line with the approved budget;
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the Director General and Director Corporate Services.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- An Honors Degree in Mass Communication or Public Relations options or journalism or any other closely related qualifications plus Master’s Degree in any of the above from a recognized university.
- Applicants should have a minimum of five (5) years working experience in Public Relations or communication in a government or equivalent level of relevant working experience from a reputable organization.
- He/she should have the following key competencies: Integrity and confidentiality, Oral and written communication skills, Team work, Computer literacy, ability to multi-task and Concern for quality and standards.
Tenure of Office: Five years’ contract renewable once subject to satisfactory performance.
Age limit: Not above 50 years
The interested applicants should submit a hard copy of the application specifying the position he/she is applying for with a detailed curriculum vitae prefaced with a statement of not more than 250 words explaining why he or she considers oneself a suitable candidate for the job. He/she should provide names, day-time telephone numbers, e-mail and physical addresses of 3 (three) respectable referees who are able to provide a candid opinion on his/her professional abilities, personal attributes and suitability for appointment to the position applied for. The application letter, CV, photocopies of academic certificates and testimonials should be submitted to the undersigned to reach him not later than 5:00 p.m. on 10th October 2023.
The Director General,
National Agricultural Research Organization,
Plot 11-13, Lugard Avenue
P.O. Box 295,
- Salary Offer 300000 - 5000000 USD 300000 - 5000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda