As member of the global Senior Staff, the Regional Finance Manager (RFM), contributes to the overall success of StrongMinds’ strategic objectives by effectively managing the financial aspects of all East Africa field offices and operations. The RFM will accomplish this through:
- Financial management, reporting and controls,
- Planning and budgeting,
- Grant management,
- Policies and systems development for finance and administration, and
- Finance staff mentorship and development.
While closely working with field offices, partners, and internal departments, the RFM will serve as the primary resource for financial monitoring and operational compliance.
This position is designed to contribute technical expertise in the areas of Finance, Compliance and Risk Management to foster increased accountability and mitigation of risk within the Region.
The position is also responsible for the technical supervision of the Country Finance Leads.
Key Areas of Accountability
Financial Management, Reporting and Controls
- General Ledger. Provide oversight of all country offices’ general ledgers.
- Controls. Conduct regular reviews of internal controls, segregation of duties, proper documentation and sign-offs. Recommend changes to improve effectiveness, including consistencies across StrongMinds’s offices, whether through policies, procedures or software, and ensure implementation of approved changes.
- Financial Reporting. Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner to the Country Directors and the Chief Financial Officer in the US (monthly) and to the Boards of Directors (quarterly); clearly communicate trends, areas of concern, and variances to budget; forecast cash flow and build projections.
- Inter-company transactions. Responsible for tracking inter-company transactions and making sure they are properly booked. Prepare consolidated statements.
- Audit. Coordinate and lead the annual country-level audit process, liaise with external auditors and Boards Finance Committees; work with country-level staff to implement auditor recommendations. Responsible for internal and sub-grantee audit function, including scheduling, scope development and engagement of third-party consultants as warranted.
- Procurement. Provide oversight for country-level procurement function, including adherence to the procurement policy and donor requirements.
· Statutory Compliance. Ensure organizational tax and legal compliance, enlisting third party professional advisors as needed.
Planning and Budgeting
- Lead and oversee the annual budgeting and planning process as well as the mid-year budget review in conjunction with the Country Directors and budget responsible department heads; review all financial plans and budgets; roll up individual budgets into comprehensive country budgets, providing analysis identifying the drivers of change relative to prior period.
- Monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of the organizations’ financial status. Collaborate with budget owners as needed on actual budget, budget modifications and support live forecasting, working with the CFO.
· Provide critical analysis to drive understanding of activity costs.
- Conduct reviews and evaluations based on both financial and management accounting information for cost reduction opportunities.
Grant Application and Management
- Serve as lead for donor budget development and responsible for donor budget and performance related inquiries.
- Respond to donor finance related due diligence inquiries; lead sub-grantee due diligence exercises.
- Brief department heads and finance staff on new grants including staff time allocations budget management, spend down requirements and allowed expenses.
- Provide ongoing guidance to finance and non-finance staff and coordinate efforts to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Implement a robust grant management system so that reporting, billing, and collection schedules are adhered to.
- Oversee grant accounting, ensuring proper coding and allocation of all transactions.
- Provide periodic meaningful analysis of financial performance relative to grant requirements. Demonstrate creative problem solving to deal with variances and timing issues while remaining in compliance with grant agreements.
- Drive completion of financial reports for grants, including grant close-out and final reporting.
Policies and Systems Development
- Review and supervise the compliance with financial policies and procedures. Make updates to existing policies as warranted to mitigate risks to the organization. Conduct the same regarding administrative, asset management and fleet management policies and procedures in conjunction with the Information Technology & Operations Manager.
- Ensure that systems are in place for the control of all assets, funds, equipment, property, and facilities.
- Recommend systems improvements and/or software deployment to promote efficiency, better record-keeping, and global cohesion. Oversee implementation.
- Develop and implement any necessary new business policies and accounting practices as dictated by risk assessment or grant requirement.
- Drive policy cohesion across the organization; partner with human resource staff and information technology staff to ensure policy alignment.
- Develop or review contracts, working with legal counsel as needed, for work with partners vendors and consultants that are outside of a specific country jurisdiction.
- Identify areas to form relationships with vendors across geographical boundaries in order to secure more favorable pricing and/or services; negotiate relationships with vendors, partnering with the Information Technology & Operations Manager as warranted.
Risk Management and Assurance
- Work with senior staff on their risk mitigation action plans.
- Track the organization’s risk management activities and keep senior staff on task.
- Monitor and advise management on the changes in local legislation, accounting practices, tax-regulations and implement necessary changes as recommended by management.
- Advise both finance and non-finance staff on matters of internal control compliance, periodically review the suitability of the existing controls to ensure they are adequate enough to minimize risk exposure to StrongMinds and that they reinforce the proper implementation of programs. Recommend to management any controls that may be necessary to mitigate any foreseen risks.
- Form relationships with StrongMinds’ financial institutions to ensure that the country office bank accounts have sufficient oversight and controls.
- Work closely with the Partnership Director and country level partnership leads to ensure that the capacities of partners are assessed and developed to a level that minimizes likely risks of the partnership. Develop and periodically review the tools necessary for quality partnership reporting.
Staff Development and Collaboration
- Support the development of an organizational culture that:
- Reflects our core values,
- Promotes accountability and high performance,
- Encourages learning, creativity and innovation, and
- Strives to provide excellent service to our stakeholders.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding finance related tools, policies, and procedures.
- Periodically assess capacity building needs of finance staff and make recommendations to the CFO for finance staff development.
- Provide technical supervision to the country finance leads.
- Collaborate with country directors
- Work with members of fundraising staff, giving technical guidance during the proposal process.
- Work closely with the CFO to drive organizational excellence in financial and risk management.
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to: [email protected] Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only.
Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 16th September 2021.
Please note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-09-16