With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Project Officer Resilience and Livelihoods
Report to: Area Programme Coordinator
Location: Abim, Karamoja District
Advert Start Date: 9th August 2022
Advert End Date: 16th August 2022
To implement field level Resilience and Livelihood programmatic activities in line with targets and partnership standards in a manner that contributes to sustained and improved child wellbeing.
Project planning, implementation and reporting
- Provide expertise and technical assistance in agronomy and agribusiness, climate smart agriculture, marketing, IGA, DRR and Natural Resource Management.
- Take lead in Resilience and Livelihood planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring of progress, and reporting at area programme level.
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of stakeholders at area programme level during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora.
- Identify local level partners and support/ facilitate the partners in the implementation of planned activities.
Community engagement and advocacy
- Take overall lead in the coordination of field level activities
- Mobilize, organize and strengthen small holder farmers’ into strong business groups/cooperatives (rural producer cooperatives, marketing cooperatives, Savings for transformation groups and Credit Cooperatives) for bulk purchase of inputs, value addition, bulking and collective marketing of produce at area programme level
- Develop the farmer’s capacity to improve production and productivity of selected enterprises of desired quality by the market through demonstrations and training of farmers’ on sustainable agricultural practices and/or technologies.
- Ensure Integration of Resilience and Livelihood activities with other internal and external programmes including that of governments at the area program level.
- Build the capacity of farmers’ business groups/cooperatives to collectively engage local leaders on identified issues.
- Mobilize communities to participate in annual agricultural events – such as agricultural shows, World Food Day
- Mainstream gender, DRR/NRM, child protection, sponsorship into R and L area programme activities.
- Facilitate small business development at the community level through business capacity and skills development of the project participants
- Represent World Vision Uganda in food security meetings at the sub county level
- Build strategic linkages, collaborations and networks with partners at the sub county level and coordinate implementation of agreed action plans.
Management of Resilience and Livelihood performance
Each supported H/H must have
- Food Security Crop (in garden and/or proper storage or evidence of cash to buy food at all times)
- An income generating enterprise – Organized enterprise as an alternative way of earning income. Earning at least $2 per day
- Practicing all Natural Resource Management technologies (Practicing all NRM technologies (water harvesting, Soil & water conservation, micro irrigation, agroforestry, woodlot, energy saving stove, FMNR)
- Practicing Nutrition SMART agriculture (OFSP, High iron beans, kitchen garden, small livestock e.g. rabbit, local poultry, goat etc.)
- Member of Saving Group
- Member of Cooperative (production, marketing, savings &credit)
- Visited by an extension worker/or have access to M-Omulimisa, market and weather information/Information board with an information business manager.
- The cluster has a disaster preparedness plan and community food store/community seed bank in case of emergencies.
- Successful case studies of R and L programmes/project documented and Quarterly reports submitted. WVU Visibility and collaboration with all partners and stakeholders promoted Operation Plans developed on quarterly basis Savings Group MIS Updated
Documentation, Reporting and knowledge management
- Prepare high quality reports, both narrative and quantitative information. Ensure that all reports are delivered according to high quality standards and are always submitted on time as per WVU standards.
- Organize and conduct monthly and/or quarterly reflection meetings with COVAs, guardians/parents and child protection committees to address findings from monitoring.
- Take lead in documentation and sharing of Impact/success stories and best practices at the area program level to promote learning.
- Organize quarterly review meetings for partners and communities to reflect on programmes/projects approaches, tools, impact of interventions, best practices, exit and sustainability strategies as well as create spaces and opportunities for action-learning and debate
- Take lead of the area program resilience and livelihood output monitoring processes
- Facilitate monitoring processes of resilience and livelihood interventions with partners and communities
Child Protection and Wellbeing
- . Ensure a strict compliance to the WVU child safeguarding practices with respect to the child and adult safeguarding management policy, PSEA/code of conduct at all times; monitoring and reporting on compliance to child and adult safeguarding management policy standards in the project/project area.
- Mobilization and facilitation of communities, local organizations, local government and institutions to participate in Child protection designs, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation including reporting on child protection priorities in line with the Technical Programme goal and objectives, Key Result Areas.
- Facilitate child and adult safeguarding policy dialogues and campaign interventions by ensuring linkages and coherence in engagements within the project and Area Programme (AP) and National level, in the context of integrated ministry.
- Work closely with the line supervisor(s) to ensure integration of Peace & Child Protection interventions in the project including uptake and effective roll out of CP project models and approaches
- Facilitate effective and meaningful participation of children as agents of change in all project interventions/processes in line with WV Child Participation guidelines
- Engage with project partners to assess and address the existing child protection related issues in the community and ensure appropriate and timely reporting/action is undertaken on CP incidents
- Facilitate proper formation of Child protection working teams/groups/committees in line with World Vision systems approach to Child Protection.
- Facilitate child protection advocacy campaigns and engagements at community level to ensure policy implementation and change
- Build multi-sectoral linkages and community based initiatives, networks and coordination mechanisms in establishing and strengthening child protection prevention, response and referral pathways to allow a more efficient access to services for the MVC.
- Build skills and capacity of communities, CPCs, Para-social workers to work with other local duty-bearers & service providers to understand and independently carry-out child protection actions to effectively respond to child abuse cases in line with standard case management procedures and principles
- Organize and facilitate child protection related research activities through focus group discussions and interviews, with the guidance of the line supervisor(s)
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a degree in agriculture or agribusiness or any other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in community work and engagement Agricultural, Economic Development and Livelihood
- Entrepreneurship, micro finance and strong agribusiness skillsComputer literate
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.Computer literacy
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliability and dependable
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Computer literacy
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Passion for children.
- Ability to communicate in applicable local language(s)
- Networking and influencing skills
- Writing and reporting skills
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local Applicants Only
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda