Project Manager: Solid Waste and Fecal Sludge Management, Uganda
The Project Manager (PM) will lead the implementation of the above-mentioned KOICA funded Project titled “Strengthening Solid Waste and Fecal Sludge Management Capacity of the GKMA” with support and guidance from the Uganda Country Representative. The PM will be leading a small team of 4 full time staff members, several firms, as well as internal (GGGI) and external part-time experts and consultants to ensure timely and high-quality delivery within the assigned budget.
- Lead the implementation of the Project, including the full project management cycle including but not limited to budget management, program design and development, staff planning and management, and project monitoring and evaluation. This includes Donor, Government, and GGGI reporting tasks when applicable.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of staff members, consultants, firms and other experts
- Originate and develop spin-off opportunities of the Project, including potential additional resource mobilization to further accelerate Uganda’s shift to green urbanization and industrialization.
- Assess effectiveness of program activities and recommmend improvements to meet key milestones for the progream scoping and set-up
- Ensure synergy and alignment of the Project with the Government of Uganda’s strategies and directions, as well as GGGI Uganda and Head Office Strategies.
- Oversee the quality of the results as well as the effective and efficient delivery of results.
- Lead the day-to-day communication, supported by the team members, with the Ugandan Counterparts such as (but not limited too) the the Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE), Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), and the District and Municipal Governments where applicable.
- Lead the day-to-day communication with KOICA and other development partners to ensure alignment and complementarity and identify opportunity for cooperation when possible.
- Coordinate with GGGI experts and other departments (legal, HR, Procurement etc) to ensure high quality delivery and delivery within the rules and regulations of GGGI and the EU.
- Organize project execution consistent with the Project objectives engaging national counterparts and building reputation for quality design and reliable delivery.
- Provide technical leadership to staff members/consultants and build capacity of internal staff and government officials where applicable.
- Adapt project cycle and enhance project implementation process to ensure project outcomes are delivered as planned
- Ensure successful completion of the project deliverables detailed in the Project Agreement.
- Successful team management, ensuring GGGI’s core values are at its heart at all time making sure staff wellbeing is key for the implementation
- Safeguards, Poverty Reduction and Social Inclusion are key for this Project and need to be mainstreamed and/or applied in all deliveries and outputs.
- An advanced degree (Masters) relevant to green growth policies is a requirement; a specialization in Waste Management, Water and Sanitation, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Project Management, Industrial Ecology, or a comparable relevant field (additional relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a post graduate degree)
- Preferably 7-10 years of relevant project management experience in developing countries at senior levels (e.g. leading projects), ideally in East Africa and including participatory planning, report writing (in English) and financial management.
- Knowledge of the Korean Language – speaking, reading and writing – is a strong advantage
- Experience with the management (as Project Manager or Team Leader) of KOICA funded projects. is an advantage.
- The Candidate needs to demonstrate previous work in similar project (multi-year, multi sector, complex operations, etc) funded by international donors.
- Proven experience in one of the key technical sectors that are part of the Project, meaning SWM or FSM.
- Proven success as a People Manager, with exceptional skills in building productive working relationships with team colleagues, field offices, donors and other partners
- Exceptional skills in building productive working relationships with colleagues, field offices, stakeholders, donors and other partners
- Strategic thinker and solutions-oriented manager with good ability to multitask and work in a matrix environment
- Good knowledge in monitoring and evaluation systems within a performance-based management context.
- Able to think strategically and in close collaboration with others.
- Detail-oriented striving for quality and consistency in all outputs and communications.
- Able to perform analysis of management and administrative matters in tandem and under time constraints.
- Experience with Korean Technologies, relevant for the Ugandan context, in SWM and/or FSM is a strong advantage
- Output-oriented, demonstrating creativity, innovation and an entrepreneurial drive.
- Highly organized and able to effectively and efficiently multi-task and prioritize.
- Comfortable working both in a team and independently.
- Excellent organizational and management understanding and demonstrated experience with successful mainstreaming of safeguards, gender, poverty reduction and social inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects that are supported and/or implemented by both international and local consultants.
- Proven and strong reporting skills as reporting requirements are significant within this position.
- Understanding of green (climate) financing is an advantage
- Experience in mobilization of resources from financial institutions and development partners is a benefit.
- Experience in policy formulation, capacity building and multi-stakeholder engagement within the technical areas
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values.
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership.
- Excels at problem solving, ask questions and seeks support when needed, shares easily information and knowledge with others both internally as externally.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
- Strong ability to work independently and/or remotely, while maintaining productivity.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills; including public speaking.
INTRODUCTION & BACKGROUND
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
GGGI, hosted in Uganda by the Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development, has been closely working together with its Government and Non-Government partners and the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and to design a 2-Phase program titled “Strengthening Solid Waste and Fecal Sludge Management Capacity of the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area” of which the first phase (24 months likely to start in June/July 2022) is currently being contracted.
The long term impact objective of GGGI Uganda and the program is that “Uganda achieves strong, inclusive and sustainable economic growth”. While the project objective is “Strengthening Solid Waste and Fecal Sludge Management Capacity of the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area”.
The first phase of the project will focus on supporting the Government of Uganda with the identification of potential sites for Solid Waste Collection and Diversion (recycling) centers and Feacal Sludge Treatment Plant(s) in the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area (GKMA) accompanied by feasibility studies to estimate their viability. The Government of Korea has already expressed interest in funding a second phase of implementation of one or several of the identified sites. GGGI furthermore commits through this assignment to identify other or additional financing if needed for the viable locations.
Additionally to the site selection, feasibility studies and the shaping of the business model and identify potential financial structures. The project will also support the development of necessary National and Sub-National policies, for example ordinances and by-laws, where needed and relevant to further facilitate improved Solid Waste Management (SWM) and Feacal Slude Management (FSM) practices in the GKMA.
- GGGI Uganda has a Host Country Agreement in place with the Government of Uganda and therefore in case of international candidates this is a Diplomatic Post.
- The chosen candidate is expected to be based in Kampala, Uganda and will report directly to the Country Representative (also based in Kampala).
- For more information on GGGI’s terms and conditions (allowances, health care, education etc) please familiarize yourself with GGGI’s Rules and Regulations that can be found here: https://gggi.org/policy-documents/.
- The start of this position is still pending the signing of the contract between GGGI and KOICA.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda