NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Procurement Assistant, SC5 to be based in Kampala. The selected candidate will be employed on a short-term one-year renewable contract.
The job in found in Uganda Country Offices and reports to the Head of Procurement.
To perform administrative procurement actions through the application of the appropriate processes, procedures, and policies that support the efficient and effective delivery of procurement services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (1/2)
- Perform administrative procurement activities in a timely and efficient manner, to support Professional staff in the acquisition of goods and services for efficient field operations.
- Compile data, prepare and distribute documents, to support successful procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), ensuring standard processes are followed.
- Review, record and prioritise purchasing requests, ensuring all supporting documentation is received, and funding is available, in order to enable the procurement of goods and services.
- Coordinate and monitor the delivery of procurement requisitions, verifying receipt and inspection of deliverables, and performing follow up actions to ensure supplies reach HQ and field operations.
- Research, collate and present information in standard formats, to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (2/2)
- Update, manage and maintain relevant databases and records, to ensure the information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support the alignment of procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Provide technical support and/or allocate work to other support staff, in order to assist them in completing standard tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform any other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Supply Chain, Procurement, Economics, Commerce, Business Administration or other relevant fields.
- At least four (4) years of progressively work experience in food, goods & services procurement in large operations gained from reputable organizations;
- Experience handling routine transactions/ purchase of commodities/goods/services in complex situations;
- Experience conducting analyses and developing reports.
- Experience working with suppliers or other third party on day to day basis.
- Good working knowledge and experience in MS Office applications is a requirement;
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procurement procedures is desirable.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Tendering and Contracting||Displays basic understanding of processes to support the contracting/tendering implementation at WFP by collecting necessary information.|
|Vendor Management||Leverages basic understanding of business needs to define vendor requirements and selection criteria.|
|Commodity and Product/Service Intelligence||Appropriately handles products/services based on an understanding of sources, technologies, properties, and public procurement principles/practices.|
|Systems & Reporting||Utilizes basic understanding of data sources, procurement systems, Corporate Operating System and processes to execute daily tasks.|
|Ethics and Compliance||Maintains accurate records of activities in line with compliance standards to increase ease of response to basic audit queries.|
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday 5th November 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda