Farm Radio International (FRI) is seeking an individual with expertise in monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) to coordinate and supervise MERL activities for the FRI PLATFORM project implemented in Uganda while offering, as needed, support to other FRI projects in East and Southern Africa. The position will be based out of FRI’s office located in Kampala, Uganda.
The M&E Officer has the mandate to increase the extent to which FRI generates and shares knowledge for and through its work in interactive radio for development. Through their direct implementation on the ground in Uganda and other East and Southern African countries, the M&E Officer will contribute to FRI’s strategic intentions in the areas of M&E and knowledge sharing.**
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The M&E Officer is responsible for:
Monitoring and Evaluation:
· Supporting the design, development, implementation and analysis of surveys which FRI conducts in the course of its interactive radio projects
· Developing survey protocols, guidelines and data analysis methods for each survey type, as needed, according to internationally recognized research and statistical standards
· Developing guides and tools for robust survey and data collection methods (qualitative and quantitative) to ensure effective and peer reviewable monitoring, outcome and impact evaluation can take place
· Working with other FRI teams to prepare for implementation of surveys – proposing sampling methods and sizes, preparation of questions, testing of surveys in relevant software, pilot-testing questions
· Advising on training of enumerators, monitor inflow of data, troubleshoot data collection as needed, suggest course corrections
· Leading on data analysis (both quantitative and qualitative) and presentation
· Writing reports for baseline, midline and endline evaluations (surveys, FGDs)
· Ensuring the M&E component in research projects implemented during the PLATFORM project and in other projects across East and Southern Africa adhere to internationally acceptable research methodologies.
· Representing FRI’s monitoring, evaluation and learning work at partner meetings as needed
· Contributing to the identification and development of KM tools M&E technologies such as mobile digital data collection (CAPI and CATI) platforms or statistical software to conduct M&E activities
· Supporting other FRI teams in identifying and overseeing the work of consultants for M&E activities
· Conducting training and support capacity building activities of FRI staff in M&E
· Supporting the Knowledge Management Senior Managing Specialist as appropriate in developing mechanisms for sharing best practices (through Insight Reports etc.)
· Supporting the Knowledge Management Senior Managing Specialist as appropriate in ensuring timely documentation and dissemination of key findings from monitoring, evaluation and research, to appropriate national and international stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
· University degree (or equivalent experience) in social sciences, international studies, statistics, agriculture or a related field; a Master’s degree would be an asset
· Minimum of 3-year professional experience working in Monitoring. Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL)
· Experience in strategic MERL planning and performance measurement, including selection of indicators, target setting, reporting, database management
· Strong experience in conducting research studies from the design and formulation to implementation, analysis and presentation of results and recommendations
· Excellent knowledge of survey methodologies and sampling strategies
· Experience in designing qualitative research strategies and instruments (interview and focus group topic guides) for use in evaluation studies
· Excellent communication and writing skills, including experience of working effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences
· Initiative and creative in solving problems with strong facilitation and analytical skills
· A team player with excellent organizational skills, who can also work independently, prioritize own workload, and meet deadlines
· Fluent in English (written and verbal); Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an asset.
ABOUT FARM RADIO INTERNATIONAL
Farm Radio International (www.farmradio.org) is a Canadian charity that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale farmers and rural citizens. We work with more than 720 radio organizations located in 39 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our partner radio stations deliver practical, relevant and timely information to tens of millions of farmers. We also work with a range of development partners to implement radio projects that address specific challenges and community needs. These projects are implemented in 11 countries of sub-Saharan Africa. FRI is registered to operate, and has local offices and staff, in seven countries. FRI has 20 staff in Canada and 80-100 in its African countries of operation. A volunteer Board comprising 15 Directors, and an annual budget of $5-6 million governs it. It is recognized by Charity Intelligence as a 4-Star charity and was identified as one of Canada’s top ten international charities by Moneysense magazine.
How to Apply
FRI is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Jobapps@farmradio.org indicating the job title in the subject line.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
- Salary Offer 300000 – 50000000 UGX 300000-50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda