Job: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Job Summary: The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer will work with the Mercy Corps Apolou Activity team as well as our local partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The MEL Officer will be responsible for supporting the MEL Director to oversee the monitoring and data collection of the project, lead regular and annual field based household and group interviews, analyze data to provide insight to the project team, and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between the Activity sites. The MEL Officer will supervise a MEL Assistants and may supervise teams of enumerators in data collection, data analysis, and reporting according to the needs of the Activity. The MEL officer will be an integral member of the Activity team learning and reflection processes, leading discussion on beneficiary feedback.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Apolou team and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
- Coordinate reporting with local partners, specifically tracking deadlines, ensuring adherence to formats and requirements, ensuring reporting quality and accuracy, and periodic report writing, editing, and submission.
- Compile progress against indicators and report back to the team according to the monitoring plan.
- Develop accountability and transparency mechanisms for the program and orient Apolou staff as well as local partners on the same.
- Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected and reports each month.
- Actively participate in household identification and verification of households that participate in the Activity.
- Support the MEL Director in coordinating the baseline, mid-term evaluation and final evaluation, along with other key research activities.
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to implement program monitoring tools, accurately enter program data into relevant databases, and enable them to develop excellent reports and other documents.
- Build the capacity of our local partner organizations through ongoing training and support on: monitoring tools, entering program data into databases, the development of reports and other documents.
- Design and implement a community workshop to define baseline measures and indicators of progress that the community can use to evaluate the effectiveness of the program.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Ensure adherence to program management minimum standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
- Disseminate research learnings and recommendations to team members, beneficiaries and other relevant audiences.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to food security programming.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in management, statistics, economics, social science or related field.
- Three years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of nutrition, food security, agricultural livelihoods or value chain development programs.
- Good understanding and skills at data management.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Strong knowledge of mobile data collection tools and best practices. Experience with case management systems preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English. Fluency in spoken N’Karamojong preferred.
- Able to drive a motorbike safely, valid license. Preferred but not required.
- The successful MEL Officer will combine exceptional management skills and experience in building and maintaining partner relationships. S/he will have an ability to think creatively about operationalizing and improving the M&E system of the program. S/he will have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail as well as strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- A good sense of humor and the ability to learn from mistakes also goes a long way!
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their application with an updated CV and cover letter online at the link below.
Deadline: 28th February 2021
- Address Uganda