Opportunity Bank is a Commercial Bank licensed and supervised by Bank of Uganda. We are the Bank of choice for all who aspire to a life of dignity and purpose. We offer innovative technology-led financial solutions and training to transform lives and Communities. We do this with care, respect and in a sustainable way.
We are seeking to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the position of Legal Officer.
Reports to: Head of Legal/Company Secretary
To review and prepare loan documentation, follow up on company litigation processes, and other duties as assigned.
Key Result Areas:
CREDIT RISK MANAGEMENT:
- Draft legal documents for loans of UGX 50m and above.
- Review all credit files of UGX 50m and above for disbursement
- Draft Bank contracts and ensure that the Bank’s interests are protected
- Review of contracts before signing
- Maintain/update contracts files register
- Conduct training for the Bank’s staff on legal issues
- Handle staff & customer enquiries in regard to credit issues
- Handle any other task assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- Prepare opinion memos for impendent and threatening litigation matters for the Legal Manager to peruse and advise
- Advise on best way to resolve cases without exposing the company’s image as well as mitigating its losses.
- Carry out research to enhance and bolster cases for and against OBUL.
- Draft legal pleadings in defense of the company’s interests, where court action is preferred.
- Ensure timely filing of all pleadings.
- With authorization from Legal Manager, monitor external legal services and ensure effective representation of the Bank in Courts of law.
- Attend meetings where any third parties are claiming against OBUL.
- Provide opinions to the Legal Manager/Head Legal on legal and administrative matters of the Bank.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise accordingly.
- Provide support in contract reviews and drafting and providing recourse options especially for non-performing contractors.
- Provide legal advisory services to the branches and departments on account opening files.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law and diploma in legal practice (LDC)
- At least 2 years in the Legal function in a financial sector or a busy private enterprise;
- Experience working with board members as well as financial compliance experience will be an added advantage.
Personal skills and abilities
- Mediation skills
- Litigation skills
- Interpersonal and people handling skills
- Appreciation of good corporate governance
- Strategic level thinking concerning systems for best governance
- Highly Motivated
- Results Driven
- Able to work autonomously as well as part of a group
Opportunity Bank is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of disability, gender, marital status, religion and ethnicity.
Interested candidates should send their signed application letters together with their curriculum vitae not later than 6th February 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer deposits are protected by the Deposit Protection Fund up to UGX 10 million
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda