Hours: Regular Full-time, 40 hours per week; Not Eligible for Overtime.
Location: Based in Gulu, Uganda.
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications.
Reports to: District Technical Coordinator.
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/
URC has implemented quality improvement and operations research programs in health care since 1981 and continues to be at the cutting edge of health care improvement work in countries around the world.
With the RHITES-N Acholi Project (Regional Health Integration to Enhance Services in Northern Uganda – Acholi), USAID will continue its support of the Government of Uganda’s (GOU) efforts to improve access to and use of health services in the country’s post-conflict northern region. RHITES-N Acholi Project activities will build on USAID investments and national advances to increase access to and use of high-quality integrated services that accelerate the ability and capacity to respond to the specific health needs of residents in the Acholi sub-region, leveraging the URC-ASSIST project successes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Laboratory Technologist is a full-time position, S/he will support the 2 districts (Nwoya and Amuru) in Acholi sub-region to Strengthen Laboratory Quality Management Systems (SLMTA) and Hub operations within the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Laboratory Technologist will be expected to: –
- Work closely with the Lab Systems Strengthening Advisor to support the development of attainable, appropriate, good quality Lab services in Acholi region.
- Work with the project laboratory team to strengthen quality improvement approaches geared towards accrediting laboratories under the SLMTA program.
- Supporting and strengthening the National Samples and Results Transport Network (HUBs) operation support as stated in the Hubs operations guidelines.
- Support health facilities to effectively manage laboratory supplies forecast, quantify, order and report for supplies from the different warehouses.
- Monitor the supplies at health facilities and recommend for buffer stock reallocations across the health facilities.
- Support the laboratories in the region to strengthen the Laboratory Management Towards Accreditation (SLMTA) and Laboratory Quality Management Systems (LQMS) program as well as rolling out other Ministry of Health programs that may come up time to time.
- Building laboratory capacity in Acholi sub region for scaling up HIV/AIDS / TB services to achieve the project objectives.
- Building of the capacity of laboratory hubs in Acholi region to support the rest of the laboratories through technical support and mentorship
- Offer technical support and supervision of all health workers offering HIV/AIDS related laboratory services in supported public facilities in the Acholi region.
- Work with RHITES N, Acholi Laboratory Advisor to:
- Develop a QA/QA system (internal quality control system and external quality control system and standard operating procedures and manuals) in line with MoH guidelines and ensuring their use in selected facilities.
- Establishing and monitoring of equipment Management and Maintenance Systems in target Laboratories.
- Establishing and monitoring a Supply Chain Management System and ensure timely ordering of buffer stocks for target labs.
- Ensure hub operations in the Acholi sub region are operating smoothly.
- Liaise with facility laboratory focal persons to ensure accurate forecasting, quantification, timely order submission, and effective stock management for laboratory supplies and commodities.
- Participate in writing quarterly and annual reports.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by Snr. Lab Advisor, Cluster Manager and management.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Laboratory Science or equivalent degree qualification with an additional post graduate qualifications/training will be of added advantage.
- At least three years of demonstrable practical experience with managing laboratory programs and laboratory commodities and mentorships.
- Knowledge and competence in Strengthening the Laboratory Management towards Accreditation (SLMTA) and Laboratory Quality Management Systems (LQMS).
- Experience in developing and implementing Lab systems at different levels in the health services.
- Experience in providing technical Assistance to large scale HIV/AIDS laboratories within MoH structures and systems.
- Experience working with USAID funded mechanisms.
- Excellent interpersonal, proven diplomatic and public relations skills.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, problem-solving skills, initiative to learn and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
Desired Experience & Qualifications:
- Organizational and planning skills, and ability to prioritize workloads.
- Ability to multitask.
- Communications skills both verbally and in writing.
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Uganda for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
Due to the large number of inquiries, we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Gulu, Uganda