The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening.
In order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit a motivated and competent IT Specialist as indicated below;
The IT Specialist shall take responsibility for monitoring, maintaining and supporting IDI’s entire technology infrastructure within the Kampala Region. He/she must be a diverse individual, showing broad technical, organizational, and communication skills and be capable of working individually and in a team environment.
The IT Specialist is also responsible for day to day proactive IT service management, i.e., Service support and Service delivery, at the Infectious Diseases Institute Ltd. Field offices, as assigned by the IT Manager, Information Services department.
- Ensures usability and stability of systems within the IDI funded health facilities.
- Evaluates system potential by testing compatibility of new programs with existing programs.
- Evaluates expansions or enhancements by studying work load and capacity of computer systems.
- Achieves computer system objectives by gathering pertinent data; identifying and evaluating options; recommending a course of action.
- Proven experience in monitoring, administering and troubleshooting Ethernet/IP LAN/WAN environments.
- Proven experience with managing the deployment, maintenance and operations of IT Systems (Windows based) and with defining system requirements to meet business needs.
- Familiarity with IT Operations in a clinical environment is preferable
- Maximizes use of hardware and software by training users; interpreting instructions; answering questions.
- Maintains system capability by testing computer components.
- Prepares reference for users by writing operating instructions.
- Maintain up-to-date records of preventive maintenance for all hardware and software components.
- Maintains historical records by documenting hardware and software changes and revisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Security or related computing discipline is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ demonstrated experience in a similar role with solid background in IT infrastructure operations, computer network administration and service delivery.
- Leadership experience with the ability to mentor and guide other junior technical staff and successfully manage the team work in the IT environment.
- Technical certifications include; training in Cisco, Microsoft, ITIL, Linux, and Database administration.
Working experience and skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, customer service approach and possess a professional, confident and empathetic manner.
- Patience and tenacity, dealing with users at their level, identifying creative solutions where applicable to meet/exceed customer expectations
- Self-starter, showing an ability to work using own initiative
- Work with service providers, System Development, Senior IT Specialists and Data Managers to resolve issues with database applications and server systems.
- Meet with relevant users to identify requirements for new infrastructure components, e.g. computing devices, additional data points etc.
- Implement and test upgrades / re-designs of LANs, WANs and other components across the IDI computing infrastructure to meet IDI requirements, resolve performance bottlenecks and maintain reliability as planed and scheduled by the Senior Specialists.
Service Desk Operations:
- Periodically review and update processes to be followed by the Service Desk team.
- Ensure that all user requests for IT services are logged as work orders, assigned to a technician, escalated as necessary and tracked until completion and that users are kept up-to-date on status of resolution.
- Periodically obtain user feedback and comments and implement measures to enhance the quality of service offered.
- Produce regular reports about the operations of the IT Service Desk
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda