Village Enterprise is an innovative microenterprise development organization working in East Africa to reduce poverty with the following mission – “*To end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation.”* Village Enterprise provides business training, seed capital/start-up funds and mentoring to entrepreneurs annually to start new businesses each year.
Project Overview: Delivering Resilient Enterprises and Market Systems (DREAMS) for refugees provides an innovative solution that will drive refugee self-reliance. Working in Uganda and Ethiopia–home to 10% of the world’s refugee population–DREAMS will provide 150,000 of the most vulnerable refugees with the security and dignity that comes from providing for one’s family. The program will integrate two proven models –poverty graduation and Market Systems Development –layering these approaches in a new way that will ensure that the poorest refugee households are able to improve their income and well-being significantly. Graduation will provide the capital and skills to support refugees as they establish their businesses, and Market Systems Development will help build market access pathways to ensure those businesses can be successful. Through rigorous evaluation, we will generate evidence that DREAMS’ approach to self-reliance is not only possible, but also more cost effective than long-term food assistance.
Purpose of the Position: Village Enterprise seeks a full-time staff member to pay particular focus on employee recruitment, employee retention and ensuring HR activities are conducted in line with Village Enterprise policies and procedures and in accordance with Uganda employment laws.**
Key Result Areas:
- Develop and Maintain HR Systems, Policies and Procedures
- Employee hiring, orientation/Induction and retention
- Legal Compliance
- Employee professional Development.
Detailed Roles and Responsibilities:
Implement, maintain and update HR Systems, Policies and Procedures
· Improve HR systems, policies and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation.
· Support initiatives geared towards creation of a safe, healthy and happy workplace
· Create and track employment contracts
· Maintain an active and organized data bank of applicants for various positions
· Maintain and update Field Staff HR Manual, working closely with other HR staff and legal Counsel to maintain legal compliance.
· Suggest for good and acceptable employee welfare programs
Staff hiring, orientation/induction and retention
· Review, standardize and prepare recruitment materials including job descriptions, job specifications and disseminate Job adverts internally and to the public
· Carry out short listing, coordinate & participate in interviews, Arrange and call short listing panel members and Prepare interview schedules.
· Receive, file, Manage all new hire employment forms
· Conduct candidate background checks
· Plan and conduct/coordinate new employee orientation including provision of information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits etc.
· Coordinate and schedule staff Performance Appraisals including probation reviews.
· Process employee insurance and provide information on insurance benefits
· Receive, compute and approve employee leave requests through the HRMIS
· Communicate staff leave balances and generate different leave utilization reports
· Display in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
· Orient new international staff to Village Enterprise as well as to HR Policies and Procedures
· Ensure recovery of all organization items in possession of any staff departing from the organization.
· Disseminate public holiday and other critical government HR declarations internally to staff
Staff Professional Development
· Manage employee disputes and grievances effectively
· Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave the organization
· Work with different team leads to conduct timely Performance Reviews and support the development of appropriate tools for staff capacity building
· Identify training needs for employees and recommend/source for appropriate training programs
· Follow up on capacity building commitments as indicated in the employee performance reviews.
· Conduct community SG spot-checks
· Conduct staff and community SG Policy refreshers
· Conduct safeguarding investigations upon authorization by the safeguarding officer
· Prepare monthly, quarterly reports and Annual HR reports
· Support all disciplinary proceedings as instructed by the supervisor.
Any other tasks that may be deemed necessary
· Diploma in Human Resource Management, Organizational Psychology, Social sciences from an accredited institution with relevant experience in human resources management.
· Post graduate qualification in Human resource management is desirable.
· At least 2 years HR working experience required in international development programs in Refugee contexts.
· Demonstrated understanding of Uganda Labor laws
· Demonstrated ability to implement and manage all aspects of HRM in line with current practices and trends.
· Demonstrated ability to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues and to handle confidential matters discreetly and have experience in conflict resolution.
· Ability to competently assess priorities; manage a variety of complex activities simultaneously in a time-sensitive environment, and meet competing deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff
· Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate activities with senior management staff and proven ability to work successfully on a team in a fast-paced environment
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
How to Apply
Please send your application and CV in single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, P.O BOX 274, Soroti-Uganda. Email subject should read ‘’DREAMS PROJECT HUMAN RESOURCE ASSOCIATE’’.
Your cover letter should explain why your experience and background make you the ideal candidate for this position, and should be no more than one page.
Note: Please do not contact Village Enterprise to enquire as to the status of your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted through December 17, 2021.
Village Enterprise will provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. Employment decisions at Village will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. Village does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic protected by the law. Village will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship to daily operations.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda