Requisition ID: req29588
Job Title: Human Resource and Administration Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Compensation: UGX 0 – 0 Salary
Location: Yumbe, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. https://www.rescue.org/country/uganda
IRC has a country office in Kampala, a regional office in Kitgum, Kiryandongo and Moroto. Given the recent conflict outbreak in South Sudan, IRC re-opened the Yumbe Field site office to support refugees being settled in Bidibidi refugee settlement in Yumbe District and in Arua District, the IRC is one of the first responders to the emergency situation in Imvepi refugee settlement as well.
The HR/Admin Officer is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day HR and Administration activities are performed in accordance with IRC policies, procedures and HR best practices. The HR/Admin officer is responsible for escalating to the HR/Admin Manager on a timely basis all matters related to employee management in Bidibidi settlement. The position reports to the HR/Admin Manager and works closely with the Bidibidi field coordinator to ensure effective and efficient HR and admin services are provided to support program activities in Bidibidi.
1. HUMAN RESOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION
Recruitment and orientation
- Under the guidance of the HR/Admin Manager, participate in recruitment process for local recruitments as required and ensure HR recruitment policies and procedures are consistently followed
- In coordination with the HR/Admin Manager and the field coordinator, facilitate the integration/transition processes to assure new and transferred staff to Bidibidi received required information for their integration.
- Ensure all new staff receive IRC Way orientation and related documentation.
Compensation and Benefits
- Assist in responding to employee inquiries regarding salary and benefit
- Act as focal point to receive staff concerns about their compensation and benefits.
- Provide timely feedback to HR/Admin Manager about staff all staff concerns related to their compensation and benefits.
- Assist in responding to employee inquiries regarding salary and benefit.
- Facilitate and providing guidance for resolving minor employee relations issues in the field office
- Ensure HR/Admin Manager is immediately informed about any employee relation issues occurring in the field.
- Facilitate relationships between labor/social services and IRC staff.
- Ensure staff timesheets are provided on time and send the Yumbe office systematically
- Ensure staff are taking their leave in accordance to IRC regulations.
- Ensure staff information is shared with HR/Admin Manager in Yumbe on a regular basis.
- Communicate any staff welfare concerns to the HR/Admin manager on a quick basis.
- Ensure offices are cleaned on a regular basis.
- Ensure office supplies are available at any time
- Ensure staff tea and water is available at the office all time.
- Submit regularly as required, information to HR/Admin Manager for HR Metrics preparation
- Submit regularly payroll information to the HR/Admin Manager
- Update and submit regularly staff leave tracking
- submit weekly and monthly recruitment reports
- Ensures coordination and monitoring of shared activities between HR, administration and Supply Chain in Bidibidi field office.
- Maintain proper records for all correspondences
- Ensure compliance of administrative policies and procedures with IRC standards and local law in Bidibidi field office.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned (of a similar nature or related and in the interest of the organization)
3. Exit Management
- Work closely with supervisors to ensure exit interviews are offered to all staff and data is captured in the online exit survey to ensure a learning and reflective culture in the country program.
- Ensure that staff are removed from the Health Insurance scheme and GPA schemes accordingly
- Develop and maintain reports to update and finalize terminal benefits
- Perform other duties as needed or requested by the HR /Admin Manager.
- Preparing and track offer letters and employment contracts.
- Prepare COS (Change of Status) forms as required and draft /track Staff Contracts, termination forms/notifications.
- Ensure internal equity is maintained for staff compensation and benefits and advice programs leads accordingly.
- Ensure staff understands their benefits package and lead an effective administration of the benefits.
- Maintain accurate and up to date personnel records of all employees including orderly archiving.
- Ensure the IRC way violations are captured, reported and followed through on a monthly basis.
- Support the management of IRC Uganda’s HRIS system and ensuring that it is accurate and maintained up to date.
- Support the maintenance of all talent acquisition and management processes in Cornerstone and the HRIS as assigned, to ensure 100% data integrity.
- Act as a point of contact for all Cornerstone enquiries
- Capacity building employees, management and HR Focal points in use of Cornerstone and the HRIS.
- Support Payroll process for national staff, as required.
- Coordinate timely performance appraisals and maintain an updated PME database for all staff in coordination with the field HR lead.
- Ensure that performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency
- Collate training needs from the PME and ensure that they are captured in the Annual learning and development plan.
Health Insurance Management
- Coordinate the national staff health insurance scheme ensuring timely and accurate reports from the service provider.
- Ensure all staff and eligible dependents are registered on to the medical insurance scheme, monitor staff medical coverage and ensure that the scheme is functioning well
- Liaise with the health service provider to resolve any issues with the services.
- Follow up on all medical insurance matters for staff including adding and deleting staff to/from the employer’s liability and the medical and hospitalization insurance policy schemes as well as follow up on payments and claims.
KEY WORKING REALTIONSHIPS
Position reports to: Human Resource and Administration Manager
Position directly supervises: Human Resource and Administration Assistant(s)
Internal: HR/Admin ,Finance, Supply Chain and Program Departments
External: Close collaboration with donors, local actors (local NGOs, UN agencies, government) and service providers’
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
- Bachelor degree in Human Resource, Administration or social sciences.
- Professional certification is highly desirable and an advantage
- 2 years of relevant professional experience in administration / human resources and in similar position.
- Previous experience working with an international NGO in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the HR or Administration sector.
·Functional knowledge, skills and ability:
- Remains productive when under pressure.
- Works collaboratively with team members to achieve results.
- Relates and works well with people of different cultures, gender and backgrounds.
- Flexibility and prepared to work additional hours
- flexibility to continuously re-prioritize
- Ability to multi-task. Ability to create a welcoming and comfortable environment for all staff members
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Able to respond rapidly to changing environments, yet remain productive and focused;
- Strong and fast computer skills (primarily Word, Excel, and outlook);
- Prior experience of preparing/disseminating payroll is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office packages – Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Able to coach and support others
- Strong experience in an human resource support role
- Ability to analyse and interpret numerical data and processes
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality of HR information
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda