Reporting to the Chief of Party/Country Representative, The HR Manager provides leadership on human resources matters. S/he consults and advises leadership, managers and staff in Uganda regarding relevant HR strategies, programs, initiatives, policies and practices in the areas of staffing, performance management and development, employee relations, work environment and compensation in order to maximize employee engagement within the company. Supports field offices to provide specific focus on building capacity on HR subject matter and ensuring systems are in place to properly support country specific HR needs. The position holder ensures HR risk mitigation measures are in place and ensures compliance with relevant local laws/regulations and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides support to the Chief of Party/Country Representative and project managers to ensure that staff teams issues are effectively managed and motivated.
- Coordinates the Human Resource function of the organization ensuring that FHI 360 policies are followed, to effectively manage HR risks within the Country/Project Office, ensuring full compliance with all relevant local laws/regulations and procedures.
- Provides advice and consultation to management on HR matters.
- Ensures recruitment and sourcing systems are implemented that meet the demands of the Uganda office current and future skill needs.
- Working closely with Compensation team and HR Partner, provides oversight on the country compensation structure and payroll management including assisting in the education and interpretation of programs for managers and staff.
- Working closely with Project Leads and country leadership, supports the annual salary adjustment process, promotion and equity reviews for the office.
- Educates and supports management and staff in implementation of FHI 360 HR programs and practices.
- Supports in managing employee relations issues and resolves routine employee relations issues; supports investigations where needed.
- Facilitates the performance assessment and on-going performance management process to ensure alignment of individual performance with organizational goals.
- Conducts HR trend analysis and reporting activities to identify opportunities and recommend solutions.
- Supports the development of HR team goals for the Uganda office.
- Manages all areas of HR generalist administration, policy interpretation, hiring/terminations support, timekeeping, performance management, benefits administration, compensation and payroll administration.
- Reviews the accuracy and timeliness of data in the Human Capital Management System for client groups.
- Participates in ongoing organization design as new business is acquired and proposed.
- Conducts exit interviews, reviews turnover data and makes recommendations for improvement. Facilitates the development of action plans and monitors progress in response to employee engagement surveys.
- Enhances organization learning and development by facilitating HR related training programs and group discussions on various topics for staff and management.
- Establishes partnerships to deliver value added service to management and employees that reflect the business goals/objectives of the organization.
- Establishes and maintains equity, transparency and consistency in the interpretation, determination, implementation, and administration of HR policies, procedures, and guidelines on all HR related matters applicable to the staff.
- Stays abreast with changes in country labor laws and regulations.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and capacity to work with various people.
- Ability to intervene with all levels of staff, representatives of donors and collaborating agencies, individuals from diverse cultures, and the public with diplomacy and firmness.
- Strategic thinking, have good organizational and planning skills, ability to prioritize tasks and work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines.
- Pro-active approach and flexible attitude to work.
- Self-motivated and ability to organize work independently.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the wider external HR environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices with project management, process development and execution.
- Strong public relations and diplomacy skills and experience. Experienced at motivating, influencing, and collaborating with others.
- Initiative and discretion in managing confidential matters, materials and sensitive issues.
- Working knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g., Ugandan labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to FHI 360 Uganda.
- Strong knowledge in salary structure and development, benefits and compensation, and job evaluation systems.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Ability to speak the country’s language and demonstrate sensitivity.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Education, Organizational Development or Related Field.
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
- Membership with relevant professional body in Uganda.
- 7-9 years of experience providing full range of HR generalist support in a medium to large organization.
- Demonstrated experience with technology, research and building relationships among several organizational teams to resolve problems and initiate improvements.
- At least 5 years of experience in a supervisory role required.
- Experience with an international organization preferred
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) preferred.
- Salary Offer 300000 - 5000000 USD 300000 - 5000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda