About Catholic Relief Services: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to address needs across the country. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture and value chain, landscape restoration and climate change adaption, health and health systems strengthening, microfinance, and DRR, humanitarian response and recovery. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with other organizations, including the Catholic Church, faith-based organizations, international and Ugandan NGOs, government ministries, private sector companies and academia, for maximum impact and sustainability. CRS Uganda employs around 180 staff and has its main office in Kampala, with sub-offices in Moroto, Yumbe, and Kikuube districts. With our more than 30 partners, we served over 1m Ugandans in 2021.
The Yumbe Head of Office will manage and represent Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) activities operating through its fully operational sub-office in Yumbe District, Uganda, to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. Out of the Yumbe sub-office you will ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the CRS main office in Kampala.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage planning and implementation of all key activities at the sub-office level ensuring alignment with Country Program (CP) and agency strategic programming and operations excellence priorities and standards.
• Ensure high-quality project implementation, management, and compliance with programmatic standards, policies and procedures through project review systems and quality control (comprehensive M&E systems, budget review and analysis
• Approve expenses, monitor spending, and make budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs and donor requirements.
• Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity. Contribute to staffing plans and recruitment process of senior staff.
• Serve as the security focal point. Proactively manage security and mitigate security risks. Ensure a safe work and living environment through leading implementation of safety and security protocols and staff care and well-being best practices.
• As the primary representative of CRS in Yumbe, strengthen existing and develop new relationships with local partners, government, and community organizations.
• Proactively and effectively manage resources and promote stewardship, ensuring program and operations teams and partner staff have and optimize the appropriate human, financial, and material resources and tools.
• Promote documentation of program reviews, success stories, and lessons learned.
• Monitor day-to-day operations to ensure all operational services (HR, Finance, Supply Chain, Admin, ICT) are delivered with high quality in an efficient manner and adhere to policies. Manage risk and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship, optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
• Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Identify capacity strengthening needs for staff and partners and coordinate with CRS Uganda program and operations teams to address capacity strengthening.
• Support the development of high quality, compelling proposals to strengthen the program portfolio.
• Empower MEAL team to strengthen CRS accountability systems and fully digitize M&E system through CRS’ preferred CommCare software, with data visualized through project-level dashboards accessible in Kampala. Lead the implementation of ICT4D technologies and other innovations to improve program quality effectiveness and efficiency.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations, or another relevant field. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
• Minimum of 7 years work experience in an international non-profit, development, and/or humanitarian organization with progressive responsibilities and project management experience. Preferable to have no less than 3 years working in a refugee/emergency context.
• Experience in stakeholder management and establishing and strengthening community partnerships. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
• Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
• Team leadership abilities • Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented
• Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
Required Languages – Strong English spoken and written skills required, knowledge of Juba Arabic, Kiswahili a plus
Travel Required: 10% of the time to Kampala for meetings
Supervisory: The Head of Office – Yumbe will directly supervise the Operations team, MEAL Manager and Settlement Project Manager and will support the Homes and Communities Program Manager.
Key Working Relationships: Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Yumbe-based emergency team, Humanitarian Response Department, Kyangwali Emergency Coordinator, and Kampala-based operations staff. External: Government of Uganda Office of the Prime Minister Department of Refugees (OPM), UNHCR, local/international NGO offices, other UN agencies, and CRS partners.
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff) These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results. • Integrity • Continuous Improvement & Innovation • Builds Relationships • Develops Talent • Strategic Mindset • Accountability & Stewardship Emergency Competencies • Communicates strategically under pressure • Manages stress and complexity • Actively promotes safety and security • Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
DISCLAIMER CLAUSE: This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 8, 2022, at 5:00pm. • Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy, paste – HEADOFOFFICE only • All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda