Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Uganda since 2006, focusing its interventions on economic and agricultural development, maternal child health and nutrition, governance, conflict management and humanitarian response. In 2017, Mercy Corps had an impact on almost 1 million beneficiaries in Uganda through our work focusing on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direct supervision of Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Officer is responsible for financial reviews, reporting, resource management, coordinating with others, compliance with donor and MC internal policies and timely submission of quality reports as required by supervisor.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Perform financial Review of TAs, Expense reports, cash payments and simple service contracts for all Kampala based grants and ensure they are accurately coded and meet donor and MC standards
- Coordinate the monthly and annual reporting process operations in relation to the package that should be sent to HQ by the 10th of the following month.
- Perform financial analysis and provide management information reports.
- Analyze all timesheets and ensure they are complete, charged to current grants and that they are all captured into the EPAR by the 3rd of every month.
- Supervise the Finance Assistants, Graduate trainees and support them to ensure they are able to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Coordination with Operations to track all outstanding invoices and ensure they are paid on time.
- Ensure/match invoices/receipts, completion reports with GRN and other required documents for processings of contracts and payments in accordance with donor and MC regulations.
- Coordinate and prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for supported field offices, submit and make sure sufficient cash is available in all offices and monitor its use. Make sure also there is no excess cash.
- Timely Coordinate, receive and prepare consolidated monthly cash projections working closely with the senior finance Officer and the finance Manager.
- Provide on-going orientation, training and support to MC staff on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
- Review Kampala transactions entered into Navigator, on a daily basis to make them ready for posting
- Receive Field Bank Reconciliations reports and perform accurate and timely end month procedures i.e cash counts and end month bank reconciliations by the 9th of the following as per the MCU SFFM.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT are accurately computed and make compilations for monthly statutory deductions and file timely returns (NSSF,WHT,PAYE,LST etc)
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Finance Assistants and Graduate trainees (Kampala based)
Reports Directly To: Senior Finance Officer
Works Directly With: FD, FM, SFOs, FOs, PMs, HR, Operations heads and other MC team members
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff member are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
- 3years experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
- Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
- Three years international NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the
general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and
presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and
accounting software experience.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites approximately 25%.
An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Closes: 17th May 2021
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda