The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is an independent non-profit organization that combines innovative research, market systems development, and strategic partnerships to spread sustainable agricultural solutions for improved soil health, food security, and livelihoods around the world.
IFDC is recruiting for the above project in Uganda.
“Building Resilience and Inclusive Growth of Highland farming systems for rural Transformation” (BRIGHT) will target over 100,000 Ugandan highland households in Kigezi, Mt Elgon, and Rwenzori regions, building project interventions from the ground up that are based on the aspirations and needs of targeted farming households and communities. BRIGHT seeks to build the resilience capacity of farm households and the farming systems to recover from external shocks in an ever-changing context through absorption, adaptation, and transformation and, in so doing, increase incomes and food and nutritional security of all farmers, from subsistence-oriented farm households to more market-oriented ones.
The proposed project aims to achieve the following main impacts:
Increased resilience, nutritional outcomes, and income for smallholder farm households; and
- Increased eco-efficient farming, making sustainable use of and protecting natural resources
IFDC is seeking to recruitment a Farmer Household & Farming Systems Lead for this project to be base the project office in Fort Portal.
The successful candidate will ensure that training modules on inclusive decision-making and farm visioning, that considers the farming system in its entirety, are developed and continually refined and adapted to the local context. The Lead will also be responsible for rolling out the inclusive decision-making and farm visioning components of the project, including the Gender Action Learning System (GALS) approach family tree and trainings on community mobilization, conflict resolution, collective action.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Research needs, review existing materials and design training manual for inclusive household visioning and planning approach
- Conduct training of project staff, implementing partners, and lead farmers on the household visioning and planning approach approach through Training of Trainers
- Coordinate the effective roll-out of household visioning and planning exercise ensuring that principals of participation, gender inclusion and adaptation.
- Support households on the development of integrated farm business plans
- Ensure that farm business plans are inclusive, have key objectives, outputs, and steps to be taken and are cognizant of crop and income diversification
- Work with Sustainable Land Management and crop production team to ensure integration of the farming systems approach with these other training components
Supervision and team collaboration
The Farmer Household & Farming Systems Lead is supervised by and reports to the Deputy Project Manager. She/ he works in close collaboration with colleagues, other IFDC staff and colleagues from other consortium members. He/she will directly supervise three Field Agents
Position and duty station
This is a national position with a duty in the IFDC field offices in Fort Portal
The position requires intensive travels (up to 50% of the time) in target regions in Uganda and may require some international travel to other IFDC countries.
This is a senior position that requires highly motivated and self-driven individuals with the following qualifications.
- Holds a master’s degree in Agriculture, agribusiness, , natural resources management or any other related course.
- At least 5 years of experience successfully leading management of technical components of complex, results based, international or rural agricultural development programs
- Demonstrated experience (>3 years) in providing Technical Assistance on household visioning and planning, integrated farm planning and farming systems approaches,
- Demonstrated skills in effectively collaborating with local governments, research institutions, development partner projects, local organizations, private companies and other partners.
- Ability to successfully manage and develop staff as demonstrated by past experience.
- Ability to manage local partners and sub-contracts with all required reporting requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally in small audience and large audience settings.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required, proficiency in multiple local languages is an asset.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda