Job Title: English Literacy Youth Instructor (Full Time)
Organization: Soccer Without Borders Uganda
Duty Station: Nsambya Kampala, Uganda
Salary Range: UGX 500,000-600,000 /= per month plus daily lunch
Start Date: ASAP
Soccer Without Borders Uganda (SWB) is a legally registered INGO in the Nsambya Gogonya neighborhood of Kampala, operating as a branch of the American based NGO Soccer Without Borders. SWB uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change, providing newcomer refugee youth a toolkit to overcome obstacles to growth inclusion and personal success. In Uganda, we operate an informal school that acts as an English language bridge program for refugees living in Kampala. All programming takes place at our Youth Center, located in Nsambya Gogonya, and the neighborhood football pitches.
Job Summary: Working cooperatively alongside the other Soccer Without Borders staff, your primary role consists of “Off-Field” English and educational programming. For these activities, you should work to create a safe, welcoming and dynamic environment for program participants. You should also work to model and enforce the five SWB rules at all times, both in the classroom and around the SWB Youth Center in Nsambya Gogonya, Kampala.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Classroom Instruction Responsibilities
- Plan and lead/co-lead English literacy/numeracy and Life skills educational sessions for refugee youth age
- Develop and submit lesson plans to Head Instructor and/or Education Coordinator at the beginning of each month.
- Identify needs of participants and work to create programming which is relevant to participants.
- Implement clear classroom management strategies and equitable consequences for student behavior that requires correction.
- Collaboratively contribute to the overall English and Life Skills component of SWB programming through collaborative work with other SWB instructors.
- Complete the designated number of self-reflection activities each month and modify teaching and classroom management practices accordingly. Submit written self reflection to Education Coordinator within 1 day of conducting activity.
- Manage and record attendance records for English classes and educational programming on a daily basis.
- Get to know participants, their families and the community through home visits, parent discussions, SWB Family Days and community/partner events.
- Care for, protect, and manage program supplies and equipment.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in both written and verbal English
- Experience working with Google Calendar/Drive/Mail and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong desire to work with disadvantaged youth
- Legal right to live and work in Uganda
Desired Qualifications/Skills (NOT REQUIRED)
- University Degree in Education or a Diploma in Primary Education
- Experience teaching youth in a classroom setting (1-2 years)
- Fluency in any of the following languages: Luganda, Swahili, Arabic or other regional languages
- Experience playing and/or coaching football
- Past experience working with, or strong desire to work with, refugees
- Residence in or around Makindye Division
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified should please email a Cover Letter and CV to Jules Mayele at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application process will be on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. Note: SWB does not sponsor work permits.
Note: Women and Refugee Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda