Director of Research: National Livestock Resources Research Institute
Reports to: Director General
Salary Grade: UR 2(i)
Overall Responsibility: A successful applicant will serve as the Head of the National Livestock Resources Research Institute and will be responsible for providing professional, technical and administrative leadership necessary for implementing the institute mandate.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities: The specific tasks of the successful candidate will be to:
- Manage the implementation of Research and ensure the prompt delivery of adequate and quality research outputs.
- Provide leadership in priority setting as a requisite for the implementation of research programs.
- Provide policy advice on appropriate technologies and information for responsible agricultural practice.
- Develop and implement a strategy on Resource Mobilization to enable the institute have additional funding for research and staff remuneration.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, research programs and annual budget in line with approved government policies.
- Implement effective financial management policies and systems for tracking, monitoring and reporting financial performance against budget to ensure proper management and accountability of funds.
- Implement effective human resource management policies and systems.
- Develop effective communication, publicity and advocacy programs to ensure that the Institute is recognized by the public.
- Put in place participatory approaches and methods to monitor and evaluate the performance and impact of the Institute’s research activities and technologies.
- Work with the Zonal Agricultural Research Development Institutes and private sector to transfer technology and research applications to the marketplace with a view to enhancing commercialization and availability of appropriate technologies to a wide array of stakeholders.
- Ensure that the Institute complies with relevant legislation as well as agricultural and environmental laws.
- Ensure that research projects and programs comply with National and sector development plans and strategies.
- Commit up to 25 percent of his/her time in scientific research activities.
Required Qualification and Experience:
Interested candidates should meet the following conditions:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in either Veterinary Medicine, Agriculture (Animal Science Option) or Animal Production with a Master Degree and a PhD in a relevant field of either Livestock Sciences, agricultural or natural resources management.
- At least 10 years’ experience in Livestock or agricultural research, planning or management; and equivalent experience obtained from a related field is acceptable.
- A proven record in research evidenced by at least twenty (20) peer reviewed publications, with at least five publications in the last five years.
- Clear understanding of the role of agricultural research to poverty reduction.
- Excellent leadership, negotiations and communication skills including demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Proven ability to influence and motivate staff towards the achievement of strategic objectives and goals.
- Excellent working relationships with national, regional and international research institutions/centers as well as development partners and private agencies.
- Must demonstrate a clear understanding and ability to uphold provisions of the Leadership Code Act, 2002.
- Must have served in research, academic or related reputable research institution at a Senior Research/management level and above.
Tenure of Office: Five years’ contract renewable once subject to satisfactory performance.
Age limit: Not above 60 years
The interested applicants should submit a hard copy of the application specifying the position he/she is applying for with a detailed curriculum vitae prefaced with a statement of not more than 250 words explaining why he or she considers oneself a suitable candidate for the job. He/she should provide names, day-time telephone numbers, e-mail and physical addresses of 3 (three) respectable referees who are able to provide a candid opinion on his/her professional abilities, personal attributes and suitability for appointment to the position applied for. The application letter, CV, photocopies of academic certificates and testimonials should be submitted to the undersigned to reach him not later than 5:00 p.m. on 2nd October 2023.
The Director General,
National Agricultural Research Organization,
Plot 11-13, Lugard Avenue
P.O. Box 295,
- Salary Offer 300000 - 5000000 USD 300000 - 5000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda