The Carter Center is a 501(c)(3), not-for-profit, nongovernmental organization founded in 1982 in Atlanta, GA, by former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, in partnership with Emory University. The Center has helped to improve millions of lives in more than 80 countries by waging peace, fighting disease, and building hope. The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering. It seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center collaborates with other organizations, public or private, in carrying out its mission around the world. Current information about the Center’s many programs and activities are available at The Carter Center.
The Country Representative (CR) is the highest ranking Carter Center person and representative in Uganda, and oversees the administration and operations of its Uganda-based programs the River Blindness Elimination Program. This position is based in Kampala, Uganda with travel to other parts of Uganda. As the senior representative of The Carter Center in Uganda, (s)he maintains collaborative relationships with government officials, representatives of international organizations, donors, and partner organizations. The CR supervises personnel and manages financial, administrative, logistical, and operations of the country office, while simultaneously working with Atlanta, field staff, consultants and external experts to achieve programs’ goals. (S)he is accountable for ensuring the effective administration and operations of Carter Center activities in Uganda. The Country Representative, Uganda reports to the Vice President, Overseas Operations. Due to travel requirement, Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) will be required.
- Serves as a representative in the country of assignment.
- Directs and manages the implementation of program initiatives in the designated country, including development of program policies and procedures.
- Works closely with the host country’s governmental agencies, as applicable, as well as other non-governmental organizations.
- Responsible for managing the program objectives in the assigned country, and may supervise local staff.
- Collaborates and develops relationships with representatives of other organizations to achieve program goals.
- Directs contract negotiations with vendors/consultants in the country of assignment.
- Researches, writes and presents program-related speeches.
- Oversees required record-keeping and the preparation of operational, statistical and briefing reports.
- Provides leadership and overall management to locally recruited personnel in the country of assignment.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in a field related to the program area.
- Five years of related experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to operations, health, or other development-related field and seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience, including five years’ experience managing country office programs, administration, operations, and personnel (or equivalent combination of experience, education, and training).
- Experience with programs related to public health, development, local capacity building, and knowledge of Uganda or the east Africa region is an advantage.
- Experience working in the Horn of Africa region is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing security issues.
- Advanced financial and human resource management skills.
- Strong analysis, including monitoring and evaluation, problem solving, prioritization, and risk-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, cross-cultural understanding and the ability to lead and motivate diverse, multi-disciplinary, geographically remote teams.
- Demonstrated experience in team building, conflict resolution, ensuring participation, promoting mutual respect and active listening.
- Experience working with donors, government officials, international organizations, NGOs and CSOs.
- Proficiency in MS Office 365 and other technology.
- Strong organizational skills along with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda