IDLO IN UGANDA
IDLO has been assisting Uganda with developing its justice institutions and enhancing access to justice at the community level since 2019. IDLO’s programmatic portfolio in Uganda focuses on legal empowerment, gender justice, and the legal aspects of food security and pandemic preparedness. IDLO works closely with the executive and judicial authorities of Uganda, as well as civil society. In line with the IDLO Strategic Plan 2021-2024, IDLO is currently expanding its portfolio of assistance in the country. Uganda is a member party of IDLO.
The Country Manager heads the IDLO Country Office Uganda and reports to the Regional Program Manager Africa (Rome HQ), working in close coordination with the Director of Programs (Rome HQ) on strategic/representational issues. The Country Manager assumes overall responsibility for all representational, operational, and programmatic activities of IDLO in-country. The Country Manager leads program development and resource mobilization at the country level and ensures the implementation of high-quality programs in Uganda, further positioning IDLO as a partner of excellence in advancing the rule of law.
The Country Manager will be responsible for:
1. Representing IDLO before senior government officials, donors, and the international community, as well as other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Liaising with host-country authorities on organizational, programmatic, and operational matters.
- Advancing partnerships with national and international stakeholders in Uganda and representing IDLO in internal and external meetings.
- Coordinating programmatic and operational activities with judicial, executive, and legislative authorities, civil society, donors and other stakeholders.
2. Assuming overall management of the IDLO program portfolio, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based, and timely delivery of activities and results.
- Overseeing the implementation of the Country Office work plans, analyzing and anticipating delays and challenges, and proposing adjustments as required.
- Overseeing the financial management of the program portfolio and reviewing financial reporting and budget forecasts.
- Advancing program implementation in collaboration with technical, substantive, and project personnel, including through ensuring HQ support, undertaking field visits, and managing periodic program progress reports.
- Providing technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s quality standards throughout program implementation.
- Ensure the timely submission of donor reports.
3. Leading the development and implementation of the IDLO Uganda country strategy, in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities.
- In coordination with the Regional Program Manager, lead the development of country strategies and sharing accountability with the RPM for key performance indicators, ensuring that these are aligned to the IDLO Strategic Plan 2021-2024.
4. Leading program development
- Identifying new program opportunities and develop team capacity to design innovative programmatic interventions.
- Liaise with external stakeholders and donors to advance relationships to the benefit of IDLO, as well as leading on developing new donor and stakeholder partnerships at the country level.
- Oversee the design of proposal and implementation plans by means of organizational program design tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others.
5. Responsible for the management of the IDLO Country Office.
- Effectively leading the IDLO country team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting.
- Overseeing contract management, including providing recommendations on extensions/promotions/terminations and other amendments to contracts.
- Monitoring and analyzing political, security, economic and other developments that may affect the implementation of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio.
- In coordination with IDLO HQ, record issues and risks and guide necessary Country Offices responses to changes in the political and security situation.
- Managing the security of the Country Office and staff, in coordination with IDLO HQ.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent in international development, law, public administration, business administration, public policy, or other relevant social sciences.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in an international governmental or non-governmental organization, designing and implementing complex programs.
- Proven experience in a managerial and supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in program management and program administration.
- Work experience in Africa is an advantage.
- Full professional competence of written and verbal communication skills in English is essential.
Specific knowledge, skills, and competencies
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of any other ICT software and internet software.
- Solid interpersonal skills; works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally professional recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of $94,800 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical and mission insurance, and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 31 October 2021 (23:59hrs Rome Time).
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda