Job: Construction Supervising Engineer
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
About US: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, protection & rule of law, gender-based violence and women’s protection and empowerment, economic recovery and development.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Construction Supervising Engineer, is to provide technical expertise to improve planning and implementation of construction structures that will be supported by IRC in Palabek Ogili Refugee Settlement in Lamwo district.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guiding IRC Construction and rehabilitation work.
- Providing engineering inputs as required for any construction projects being implemented.
- Do technical drawings and Bills of Quantities (BOQ) for required Construction to guide procurement of construction services.
- Supervise and follow up constructions to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the works.
- Supporting and liaising with IRC contractors to ensure good quality work standard are done as per the specification, requirement and standard of IRC & its funding agency.
- Contributing to compliance with IRC Safety policies and procedures in construction.
- Contributing to site safety and hazard assessments.
- Follow up on the quality materials delivered/used on site (concrete, aggregates, cement, reinforcement bars etc.) and reporting to the supervisor as needed.
- Supervising Contractors on formwork, reinforcement fixing and concrete casting works and advising them promptly.
- Overseeing the execution of the work, including quality control, ensuring that construction is done to job specifications and details.
- Identify any errors and potential problem at sites and work towards preventing them.
- Advise on and ensure that projects comply with local, state or relevant government regulations.
- Check technical specifications and detail BOQ of assigned projects.
- Review existing plans for accuracy and quality — and where possible suggest technical changes.
- Advise on good project management and construction practices.
- Support in preparation of design/works; architectural designs; selection of materials, equipment and manpower requirements of assigned projects.
- Advise on good environmental practices and controls during construction and mitigate environmental impacts of the works.
- Ensure timely notification to IRC in case of change in project plan.
- Verify completion and standards by signing completion certificates.
- Provide reports on work as required by IRC.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Construction Supervising Engineer job must hold a Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Survey/Topography or Construction Management.
- Experience with Construction work.
- Working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies will be an added advantage.
- Experience in contracting and/or consulting environment is also an advantage.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Excellent leadership and planning skills.
- Ability to write clear concise reports and skills to negotiate with/ advise contractors.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 14th April 2021
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush5000000 UGX 0-ush5000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda