Opportunity Bank is a Commercial Bank licensed and supervised by Bank of Uganda. We are the Bank of choice for all who aspire to a life of dignity and purpose. We offer innovative technology-led financial solutions and training to transform lives and Communities. We do this with care, respect and in a sustainable way.
We are seeking to hire a suitable candidate with banking experience to join our Senior Management team as;
The Company Secretary/ Head of Legal
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Job Purpose: To provide legal services to the Board and Management and to ensure that the bank achieves its business objectives in conformity with corporate governance best practices.
Key Result Areas:
- To prepare agenda and materials for Board meetings & Annual General Meeting (AGM) in consultations with the Board Chairperson and the Managing Director.
- To accurately record minutes of Board Meetings, Committee Meetings & AGM.
- To ensure that Board decisions are conveyed to the relevant departments of the Bank for them to efficiently carry out their responsibilities.
- To update the shares membership register, prepare & file annual returns and register any document which has copyrights provision under the Intellectual Property Act and comply with all the provisions in other laws relevant to the Banking Industry.
- To bring to the attention of Directors all the laws and regulations relevant to their oversight role of the Bank.
- Advising the Board on Legal and corporate governance matters.
- To support business growth by providing cost effective legal advice to the Board and Management.
- To ensure compliance with Bank’s Memorandum and Articles of Association.
- Acting as a channel of communication and information between Shareholders and Directors.
- Assisting the Chairman with providing induction and training for directors.
- Coordinating the preparation and distribution of the company’s Annual report.
- Planning the workload of the Board committees.
- Participating in formulation of appropriate recovery policies for approval by the Board.
- To ensure that all contracts and agreements are kept in safe custody.
- To provide stewardship, supervision and develop the Legal team to deliver excellent legal services that support the achievement of the overall Company Mission and Business Plan.
- To monitor external legal services and ensure effective representation of the Bank in the Courts of Law.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by Management from time to time
Qualification and Skills:
- Masters degree in business or law is an added advantage
- Post graduate diploma in Legal practice
- Bachelors degree in Law
- 6 years working experience working in the banking sector with over 5 years at middle management and at least 3 years’ experience at supervisory level
- Experience with business laws and regulations affecting finance, economics, employment and human resources, mergers and acquisitions, and contract negotiations
- Leadership, strong negotiating and excellent communication skills
Opportunity Bank is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of disability, gender, marital status, religion and ethnicity.
Interested candidates should send their signed application letters together with their curriculum vitae not later than 6th February 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer deposits are protected by the Deposit Protection Fund up to UGX 10 million
Terms and Conditions apply
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda