Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) manages the Business Development Unit (BDU) and is responsible for identifying quality funding opportunities through diversified funding streams that are aligned to program and influencing priorities as identified in our Country Strategy. The purpose of this role is to spearhead Business Development and ensure funds are raised to support the achievement of country targets regarding the funding portfolio, while assisting Plan Uganda to develop a strong professional image with National Organisations (NOs) and other Donors. The position will lead in the writing of successful grant proposals in coordination with program colleagues in Uganda and with other National Organizations. As well as strengthen systems and processes for effective grant management.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is a member of the Country Management Team and is expected to contribute to the development of Plan International Uganda’s strategic plans – both long and short term. The job holder ensures that understanding of donor priorities and funding opportunities are factored into programme strategy and project design, whilst still supporting PIU to hold fast to the Country Strategy. The BDM has a critical role in ensuring that PIU’s strategy is funded and that quality long-term relationships are established and maintained with a wide range of donors as well as with Plan’s National Offices.
Do you have what it takes?
The BDM masterminds the design and implementation of PIU’s fundraising plan and must therefore be a skilled strategist, as well as bringing significant technical experience and skill in communications (including excellent proposal writing skills) and business development. S/he is responsible for both the quality and effectiveness of PIU’s funding proposals. This position is directly responsible for achieving fundraising targets of €16 million annually.
The key challenge for this position is to secure targeted funding, within the timelines required for effective cash-flow management, but at the same time ensuring that the priorities and requirements of donors are aligned with the PIU Country Strategy, and that receipt of a grant will not take the organisation off track.
This requires the job holder to:
- Have an outstanding ability to think strategically and conceptually, managing multiple different interests and developing a portfolio of fully funded projects that will collectively achieve PIU’s strategic goals
- Demonstrate highly effective influencing and negotiation skills, building strong relationships of mutual trust with National Offices and prospective donors and clarifying the common agenda
- Convene and lead proposal development teams drawn from across the organisation, managing, motivating and inspiring them to develop high quality proposals on time and to standard
- Master’s degree, or equivalent practical experience, in interdisciplinary areas within human rights, international development and program leadership.
- Extensive demonstrable experience in managing multi and bilateral donor funded grants/contracts and other fund sources in a senior management role.
- Proven experience in grant and financial management in NGOs and preferably also in emergencies.
- Extensive experience in developing proposal and budget formulation
- Understanding of multiple donor policies and procedures particularly ECHO, OFDA, Start Network, DEC, DFATD, SIDA, DFID, USAID, EC and UN Agencies
- Ability to undertake strategic and programme planning
- Proven ability to maintain strong NO/donor relations
- Proven experience in developing grant management procedures during an emergency response
- Proven experience of incorporating gender issues in to funding submissions.
- Strong understanding of gender equality programs and meaningful child participation.
- Knowledge of development challenges and contexts in Uganda, in particular in child rights, girl’s rights and child protection.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and supportively without the need for close supervision.
- Familiarity with various donor guidelines and requirements.
- Proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet).
- Strong project management and planning skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international and national teams and with complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Coordination, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate clearly and strategically with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of Plan. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Strong capacity building/training/coaching/mentoring skills with communities and internal and external staff
For a detailed job description, please click on the below link: PIU Business Development Manager JD 120123.docx
Location: We will be recruiting globally for this role, but the individual must be based in Kampala, Uganda and therefore support with relocation is available.
Type of Role: 1 year renewable
Reports to: Head of Programme Development & Quality
Closing Date: 3rd February 2023
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda