Position Title: Audio Visual Technician
Opening Period: 8/02/2022 – 8/19/2022
Grade: FSN 6/FP-8
Salary: UGX 44,197,171
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply:All Interested Applicants / All Sources.(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement:We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply. https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Audio-Visual Technician.
The work schedule for this position is:
• Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The incumbent serves as the main authority in the specialized areas of multimedia technology and digital video conferencing. The Audio / Visual Technician will set up, operate, and maintain equipment used to support multimedia events, broadcasts, presentations, webinars and video conferences. Incumbent will support official cable/satellite TV systems along with an IPTV and digital signage system at the Embassy. Incumbent will assist in setting up mobile devices for Embassy staff for access to Department regulated systems and in using this equipment in digital video conferencing related duties.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: At least completion of two years of college/university studies in Audio/Visual Technology, Information Technology, Computer Science, or Broadcast Engineering is required.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in audio visual and multimedia applications is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a good knowledge of the operational environment and have a good understanding of Uganda legal and professional procedures and practices pertaining to radio frequencies and Information Technology. Technical knowledge of mobile computing and digital video conferencing operations is required. In addition to historical knowledge, the incumbent must stay abreast of new and emerging technology developments. Good knowledge of IT networks and component equipment is required for entry at full grade level. Knowledge of telephone standards and telecommunications technology required.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Good Working Knowledge speaking/writing/reading English is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Position requires developed dexterity and accuracy for installing, troubleshooting or repairing equipment. Ability to analyze and resolve complex technical and logistic problems related to multimedia equipment is required. Ability to communicate orally and convey technical information to both experts and lay people and train and direct others in the operation of DVC equipment is required. Ability to plan, coordinate, and manage a wide range of activities to meet program goals, priorities, and deadlines is required. Incumbent is required to be able to diagnose and solve problems in a timely matter. Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 pounds. Must be able to use Microsoft Suites; and proprietary software such as Crestron Fusion (can remotely control equipment in conference room and also synchronizes Outlook calendars with the scheduling touch panel outside each room). Be proficient in using communication apps, the like of WhatsApp, Teams, Zoom and Google meet etc… is required. Good knowledge of IT networks and component equipment is required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Academic Transcripts
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Kampala, Uganda