The coordinator, under the supervision of the CIFOR-ICRAF Country Representative, will lead phase II of the IKI Trees on Farms for Biodiversity project in Uganda including planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting. He or she will also report on technical matters to the leader of the global Trees on Farms for Biodiversity project.
Main-streaming agroforestry into agriculture
- Lead and coordinate project activities in collaboration with the Muni University, the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE) and other relevant stakeholders such as the private sector, international research institutes, NGOs, seed source custodians, tree nursery networks and community-based organizations in the integration of trees into agricultural systems.
- Lead and coordinate strategic engagement with relevant actors necessary to scaling-up trees on farms.
- Lead the development of performance-based contracts for tree planting and management with the participation of farmers’ associations, communities, and individual land users.
- In close collaboration with the Ministry of Water and Environment, engage with other relevant actors responsible for species conservation to ensure the establishment and maintenance of biodiversity corridors in agricultural landscapes.
- Contribute to cross-government efforts to conserve biodiversity in agricultural landscapes, in particular by creating opportunities for inter-sectoral collaboration for implementing the NBSAP and contributing to policy aimed at implementing the UN Decade on Restoration.
- Organize and facilitate cross-government policy dialogues.
- Support to the operationalization process of the National Agroforestry Strategy and the implementation of its road map.
- Support the training of extension staff in agroforestry [trees, competition, synergies] and contribute to the integration of trees on farms into extension programmes.
- Production of agroforestry-relevant /training materials and working with extension staff to communicate the importance of careful agroforestry design to maximize whole-farm production and avoid the consequences of competition between trees and crops.
- Contribute to capacity building for farmers to integrate trees into their farming systems.
- Support the CIFOR-ICRAF Country Representative in his work with the Government of Uganda ministries and agencies to develop a programmatic approach to integrating trees into agricultural landscapes.
- Support the CIFOR-ICRAF Country Representative in his engagement with donors to identify funding opportunities for an integrated programme on mixed regenerative agriculture that includes the integration of trees on farms.
- Lead and coordinate the production of a range of knowledge products aimed at in-country awareness-raising, expanding the impact of the project through international communication and reporting on project progress.
- Contribute to capacity building of national digital media to promote the project and its aims and successes.
- Contribute to scientific papers.
- Work closely with the Global Landscapes Forum Africa hub to identify opportunities for youth stewards and Global Landscapes Forum chapters.
- Supervise project consults (5), students (4) field technicians working on different CIFOR-ICRAF projects in Uganda (5) and guide technicians in extension materials development.
- Manage and report on the project budgets and expenditure.
- Prepare project progress reports according to the donor’s requirements.
- Oversee the development and execution of project monitoring and evaluation.
- MSc in a relevant discipline including agriculture, forestry, agroforestry.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant post-master’s work experience.
- Experience of project management.
- Experience in working with extension programmes.
- Proven analytical skills, for example experience from analytical work such as synthesizing scientific articles and government reports, and writing reports and articles.
- Knowledge of Uganda government operations and policymaking, and of working within government circles and with government officials.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda