The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to “Strengthen Health Systems in Africa with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases through Research and Capacity Development”. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment, Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening Programmes.
In order to contribute to achievement of the above objectives, IDI wishes to recruit a motivated and competent individual to fill the vacancy below:
The Laboratory Technologist will be required to perform tests in all areas of the Translational Research laboratory. Demonstrates skill and knowledge on all laboratory test systems as well as follow Good Laboratory Practices and quality requirements of the Translational Research laboratory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs laboratory tests on all scheduled benches as assigned according to current protocols, procedures and quality assurance requirements.
- Maintain a high level of precision and accuracy for all testing.
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge on all laboratory test systems.
- Support the laboratory QIP program.
- Respond to technical and logistical problems encountered in the laboratory in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Respond to and reports critical values in a timely manner to clients.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual maintenance of laboratory equipment as required in a timely manner.
- Provide input as required for updating laboratory procedures and SOP’s.
- Prepare lab samples for shipment as needed.
- Meets or exceeds continuing education requirements for position.
- Assist with implementation of new study protocols, new instrumentation, new methodology and training as needed.
- Follows all laboratory procedures including safety guidelines, the use of PPE and awareness of blood-borne pathogens.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Demonstrates a cooperative attitude in relationships with co-workers and other personnel.
- Meets or exceeds quality assurance levels of the laboratory and collaboration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, patient results and project operations.
- Serves as an effective representative to physicians, nurses, counsellors and visitors in a courteous and empathic manner.
- Follows laboratory and collaboration polices.
- Uses all facilities and supplies with care and in a cost-effective manner.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the laboratory manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Lab related course (Biomedical Lab Technology, Biological sciences, Medical Lab technology).
- Have working knowledge of GCLP standards.
- Training in GCP and HSP is required.
Required experience and skills
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Good interpersonal skills, organizational skills, strong service ethic, professionalism, and attention to detail are required.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of MS Office Software
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda