SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019–2022), SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org.
Within the Energy sector, SNV is a facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. SNV provides advisory services to private, public and non-governmental organizations for improved access to energy for underserved populations within rural, peri-urban as well as urban areas. Nexus solutions, including renewable energy applications in agricultural value chains, are of increasing importance in SNV’s work. To support our capacity in this field, SNV is looking for a Senior Advisor Energy Efficiency. Based in Kampala, Uganda, the international expert will lead our technical advisory work in the Inclusive Markets for Energy Efficiency in Uganda (IMEU) project.
The 4-year Inclusive Markets for Energy Efficiency in Uganda (IMEU) project, funded by the Swedish Embassy (2022-2025), aims at developing sustainable, inclusive markets for appropriate energy efficiency (EE) products and services for households, businesses and institutions. A sector development approach will be applied, aimed at developing a socially inclusive ecosystem for energy efficiency (enabling environment), combined with targeted, contextualised support to small medium enterprises (SMEs) and energy service companies (ESCOs, supply) and stimulating uptake of EE products and services by increasing awareness among energy users (demand). The thematic areas are agriculture (focus on agribusinesses and farmers cooperatives) and built environment (focus on households, businesses and institutions). In agriculture, the project will focus on selected value chains (dairy, tea, cereals, oil crops, horticulture) in different Agricultural Ecological Zones. As for the projects’ engagement in the built environment, this will focus on rural communities and emerging cities within the Agricultural Ecological Zones.
Overall projective objective: Increased adoption of energy efficient products and services in agriculture and the built environment to enhance livelihoods and increase resilience and competitiveness of businesses in Uganda.
Project work streams: The project has 3 workstreams:
· Workstream 1: Increasing demand for EE products and services
· Workstream 2: Strengthening supply of EE products and services
· Workstream 3: Strengthening knowledge coordination and policy environment
SNV is the lead implementer in consortium with Makerere University College of Engineering Design Art and Technology (CEDAT) and Private sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU).
SNV seeks a talented, qualified, result-oriented and experienced professional for the position of Senior Advisor Energy Efficiency, to support implementation of this project.
· The advisor is responsible for providing technical expertise on EE solutions ensuring they are contextualised to the local reality of households, institutions and businesses in Uganda, both in the built environment and agro-industry.
· S/he will (co-)develop EE business models to support the SMEs and ESCOs.
· S/he will advise on the selection of the SMEs and ESCOs to qualify for grants under the market development fund.
· Support the knowledge sharing on EE solutions with the SMEs and ESCOs.
· Provide technical advice to multi-stakeholder dialogues
- Contribute to internal and external knowledge development, ensures lessons learned are made available for a large, relevant audience in Uganda and elsewhere.
- Participates in relevant knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
- Sharing documentation and learnings on IMEU Energy Efficiency products portfolio with relevant stakeholders.
Project and process development and implementation
- Undertake monitoring visits to relevant partners and service providers and report on project progress and constraints. Ensure lessons learned are applied in daily practice.
- Contribute to the process of identification of and engagement with participating SMEs and ESCOs.
- Contribute to coherent development of the work plans, and update thereof according to progress of implementation.
- Take lead in collaborating with other SNV projects and programs on the theme of EE.
- Work closely with CEDAT to leverage the opportunities, resources and networks for building a vibrant EE ecosystem for the benefit of delivering the IMEU project.
- Lead strategy development for SNV’s engagement in EE, aligned to SNV corporate frameworks.
- Identify and analyse market opportunities and threats related to IMEU project and SNV in general and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
- Actively participate in strategic positioning meetings and acts as focal point of SNV in relevant networks and platforms, both internal and external. Analyse, understand, and develop (local) networks with relevant stakeholders.
- Contribute to relevant reporting to the donor on technical Energy Efficiency aspects.
- Master’s degree in Engineering preferably with preference for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 6 years progressive experience at Senior level role in the field of Energy Efficiency.
- Solid background and understanding of EE programming, processes and (technological) innovations, and particularly with EE applications in agriculture (focus on agribusinesses and farmers cooperatives) and built environment (focus on households, businesses and institutions). Specific experience in Uganda and/or East Africa preferred, inclusive of working with the private sector, public sector and other key stakeholders.· Track record of successful leadership of a thematic area and delivering results. Experience working with local partners and in a consortium. Able to strategically lead, inspire and energise programme teams.
· Experience in leveraging networks, resources, and multi-stakeholder approaches. Excellent social, networking and presentation skills, able to engage with the private sector, civil society, governments and donors at all levels.
· Experience in collaborative and adaptive monitoring, evaluation and learning.
· Highly motivated self-starter, with strong organisational skills, who takes individual accountability seriously.
· Strong strategic decision-making and excellent (written and oral) communication skills, as well as reporting and presentation skills.
· Readiness to work and frequently travel in rural areas with minimal amenities.
· Fluency in both written and spoken English
· Contract Type: Full-time, international contract
· Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
(project duration is 4 years)
· Desired Start Date: Asap
· Information Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts across sectors. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 29 March 2022 by clicking on the link: I’m interested. All information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda