SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organisations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snv.org
Background to TIDE II project
Following the successes of TIDE I project, SNV Uganda was awarded a Grant for TIDE-2 project from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. TIDE II is a 4 years project (1 January 2020 – 31 December 2023) aiming at contributing to a sustainable dairy intensification and inclusive business models, creating shared value for different actors along the dairy value chain – also expressed as sector transformation. Specifically TIDE II is aiming at:
- Doubling incomes for 5,000 farmers (reached in TIDE 1)
- Improving incomes for 2,000 new farmers (those who never benefited from TIDE I)
- Creating new employment/jobs for 1,000 individuals along the dairy value chain
- Contributing to improved nutrition for an additional 500,000 children in schools.
To achieve the above objectives, TIDE II project will aim at deepening its interventions in areas that were covered under TIDE I as well as reach new beneficiaries in the same areas and up-scaling in areas that were not reached by TIDE I interventions, while aiming at having systemic changes in the four key project components of the dairy value chain reflected below;
- Dairy Farm Productivity: deepening the market in knowledge, inputs and finance through quality offerings with a focus on knowledge and skills transfer and supply mechanism (T&E in coops, private dairy advisory, PDTFs, others) and sustainable forage intensification; up-scaling to other commercial farming areas by following the private sector.
- Milk Quality: deepening by introducing/supporting milk tracking & tracing for various food safety parameters and critical control point analysis in the entire supply chain; up-scaling Quality Based Milk Payment System, using a processor-led model.
- Dairy Value Chain: deepening dairy value chain linkages through support to cooperatives and inclusive business models; up-scaling by supporting more cooperatives in other districts, lobby for and support the diversification of the domestic market.
- Nutrition: deepening the school milk and yoghurt project in SW Uganda by increasing nutritional effects and upscaling the approach outside the project area through e.g. social campaigns and collaboration with processors to enter this market.
Rationale for the need of communications intern
To tell the success stories of the TIDE II project impact, it is imperative a communication intern be sourced to support with documentation of the different activities and how they are leading to the desired transformational change. Currently project has hit several milestones and there are many stories to tell about the project including the many photographs collected under the different project units. However, for the project to be able to showcase its impact, it needs an intern to support with putting all the different documents together including photos and support in writing success stories to be shared widely. The key role of the intern will be to follow up field activities and document success stories and work with M&E team to add qualitative information on the collected numbers by the monitoring unit. The intern will work closely with the head of communications at SNV Kampala office and being supported by the TIDE M&E unit with guidance on the potential areas for success story documentation.
- Aggregate the different photos taken by the units during implementation and have them into one area to easy on access to the photos when needed
- Undertake field visits and participate in planning, writing, and managing information updates, activity briefs, and other information products (media content – photos and stories) for partners, and stakeholders as requested.
- Work with the SNV head of communications to write, edit, and distribute content, including publication and press release.
- Support with compiling project writes Compiling reports from all units
- Assist with reporting of TIDE events with support of the country communications officer
- Support in compiling success stories of the project’s activities
- Work with M&E team to provide numbers to beef up success stories prepared for sharing with the public.
- Support in maintaining and updating the TIDE social media sites and or write copy of posts
- Track, research and analyze information on assigned topics/issues, gather information from diverse sources and help to assess news value and other potential impact, as well as to evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics
- Support with the general administrative and communications support as assigne
- A university Degree in public relations, communication, journalism, or marketing
- A final year student or fresh graduate who has completed or is currently taking two or more writing for public relations courses
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Possess the ability to accurately follow directions
- Have a high degree of organization and self-motivation
- Have an ability to multitask
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Basic knowledge in diary and agricultural practices
- Eager to learn and work with various teams.
- Knowledge of the Runyakitara is an added advantage
- Experience with online and social media communication strategies
- The ability to act as an effective and efficient team player.
- Willingness to travel.
The required intern will support the project activities for a period of six months working from 1st April to and including September 2022.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda