Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading National Humanitarian Organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (IFRC). Uganda Red Cross implements lifesaving services across the country and would wish to invite applicants that meet job requirements for vacant positions in our organization.
|Title||Technical Waste Management Assistant Officer|
|Location||Imvepi Refugee Settlement, Terego District (with field travel)|
The Technical Waste Management Assistant Officer will be the key technical position within the operation of waste management center, its services and operation monitoring for human and solid waste. With support from Austrian Red Cross, s/he will manage, lead, and gradually strengthen the capacity of a CBO team, consisting of volunteers and community members, to enable the CBO team to manage the waste management center operations self-sufficiently.
In addition, the job holder will be responsible for running and supervising the waste management center operations and laboratory tasks at all stages of the operation cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the technical project objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The assistant officer ensures the overall success of the project by making sure the CBO team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the project is completed on time, within budget and with good quality.
Further objectives for the Technical Waste Management Assistant Officer concern the capacity strengthening, targeted guidance, mentoring of the CBO team; humanitarian needs identification through monitoring of the evolving situation; context analysis to contribute to the development of future programs; and internal coordination with the project team to strengthen WASH interventions within the National Society.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage and guiding the fecal sludge operation of the Waste Management Center
- Manage and guiding the CBO Team in fecal sludge operations
- Manage the Fecal Sludge Field Laboratory
- Leading the biochemical monitoring and steering process
- Train and orientate the CBO team in fecal sludge operations and laboratory operations
- Ensure a regular flow of information and communication with the Project Lead and connected technical experts from Austrian Red Cross and other institutions
- Provide technical guidance and support on-site regarding operation and maintenance, upgrade, upscale and safety topics.
- Technical management and supervision of works on site and contracts.
- Ensuring timely delivery of tasks
- Attend and represent Uganda Red Cross Society in relevant WASH coordination meetings in West Nile if required
- Liaises and coordinate with authorities, OPM, UNHCR, IOM, UNICEF, WASH partners and other relevant stakeholders in consultation with respective Branch Managers /Project staff on waste management related topics
- Ensure strong coordination and mutual agreements with the responsible AutRC project staff
- Liaise with the Uganda Red Cross Society WASH Partners particularly the direct Partner-Austrian Red Cross and as well as field staff under projects supported by German Red Cross, IFRC, and Netherlands Red Cross to assure technical knowledge management in waste management and recycling topic.
- Manage the waste management center team on a technical level and provide technical support, training and capacity building.
- Suggest and implement investments regarding the program budget in line with the project goals and budget volume
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports.
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Coordinate with other technical staff in Health, Supply Chain Management, Organizational Development, Public Relations, Audit and Finance department to ensure a common approach, synergy and sharing of information.
- Participate in the development of new proposals to scale up successful WASH innovations in line with the Disaster Risk Management Strategy.
- Develop and submit operational requirements (tools and consumables) for the Waste Management Center (Feacal Sludge Treatment Plant and Field Laboratory).
Download application template from here
Applications from suitable persons to be considered for appointment in the outlined positions are hereby invited. All applicants should adhere to the Red Cross Principles. URCS is an equal opportunities employer and mindful of gender balance in its establishment.
Please send your filled application form and attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms, academic transcripts and certificates should be e-mailed to; firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered, and or by post to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Closing date for receipt of the applications is 11th February 2022 at 5.00 p.m.
Due to large volumes of applications; only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Please specify your preferred location
N.B: URCS Service volunteers are encouraged to apply
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 UGX 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda