Building Tomorrow, an international social-profit organization galvanizing communities to support thriving schools in underserved areas in East Africa is seeking an exceptional, values-aligned Director of Operations (DOO). As DOO, you will provide overall leadership and management for the organization. You should be a master of management and leadership, who can learn Building Tomorrow’s programs and ethos, and apply your expertise to fit the evolving environment.
You will directly supervise at least seven staff and oversee large components of the organization’s $3m annual budget. By 2024, your operations team will enable the enrollment 100,000 out-of-school children, the development of an Inclusive Education strategy at more than 2,000 schools, and support the work of more than 300 Building Tomorrow Fellows, serving in districts across Uganda. You will lead staff management systems, finance, and operations for the organization. You will also co-lead the strategic planning alongside the Director of Programs. You will serve as a member of the senior leadership team. The DOO reports to the Country Director.
Started in 2006, Building Tomorrow (BT) improves access to child-friendly, community-supported schools by providing an inclusive, quality education for underserved children. Through our Thriving Schools program, we deploy Building Tomorrow Fellows who recruit and train Community Education Volunteers, together bringing out-of-school children into the classroom while working with school leadership to ensure access to a quality, inclusive school environment. We also work hand-in-hand with local communities, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Education to construct new primary schools where no formal primary school exists. With a full-time staff of 105, just five of whom work in the United States, Building Tomorrow reaches over 101,000 students each day. Building Tomorrow has received funding and recognition for its innovative work from the Clinton Global Initiative, Educate a Child, Echoing Green, the Segal Family Foundation, and Forbes Magazine. More information can be found online at: www.buildingtomorrow.org
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE
- Provides overall leadership for day-to-day operations and management functions.
- Oversees the finance team, ensuring budget creation and execution is inclusive, comprehensive, and functional.
- Leads organization-wide staff development and performance evaluation efforts, cultivating a culture of ambitious learning, professional growth, and accountability.
- Oversees the operations structure that enables programming excellence and efficiency, leading effective cooperation with programming colleagues, and ensuring financial and operational compliance with grant and donor agreements
- Ensures timely troubleshooting, data-informed pivots in strategy and implementation – ensures teams are working in harmony toward the same goal, and with the same ethos.
- Ability to link your career and skill set directly with the behaviors (listed below) and skills Building Tomorrow is seeking in the ideal candidate.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, plus eight years of progressively increasing work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of executive team leadership in any diverse and dynamic sector (successful applicants will illustrate how strong leadership skills have been developed and put effectively to use in their field).
- Demonstrated success in managing teams, organizational finance and operations, as well as strategic planning.
- Familiarity with rural community development, mission-based organizations, the Ugandan education sector, and/or the international development space a plus.
- First-rate English communication skills, both oral and written, with a keen attention to detail, plus native fluency in at least on Ugandan language
- Willingness to travel significantly in Uganda, and occasionally internationally
WE WANT YOU TO APPLY IF YOU…
- Have an unshakeable passion for education equality, believing access to an inclusive, quality education is a basic human right.
- Possess creative ingenuity, being progressive in your thinking and approaching challenges old and new. You are intrapreneurial and unafraid to pilot new ideas;
- Are relentlessly determined, refusing to accept the status quo, persistently striving to create new opportunities to reach more children, allowing them to reach their maximum potential;
- Believe in collaborative engagement. You believe more can be achieved together than alone, believe in the power of cultivating relationships and see everyone as an equal partner.
Compensation package includes benefits, and will be commensurate with experience. This position is based in Kampala, Uganda.
If someone referred you to apply for this position, please provide his or her name in your cover letter.
Building Tomorrow is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Building Tomorrow maintains a dedication to promoting gender-equity, diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion, and recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of sex, religion, color, tribe, race, disability, or age.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ush50000000 USD 0-ush50000000 Month
- Address Kampala, Kampala, Uganda