Job: Project Accountant
Organization: United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa)
Duty Station: Jinja, Uganda
United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) has, through a competitive process, secured a grant from the European Union (EU) to implement the Governance, Resilience and Greening (GRG)project in Jinja City Council. The EUR 1,052,631 grant agreement for the GRG project was signed on 18th December 2020 and declared to have entered into effect the same day. Main goal of the Partnership for Strengthening Governance, Resilience and Greening project is to Strengthen urban governance and improve resilience and greening of Jinja City Council, through partnerships and in accordance with the 2030 Agenda on sustainable development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the GRG project accounts and financial management section and ensure achievement of team and individual deliverables according to the project performance and implementation plans.
- Offer technical advice to the Management Board and Steering Committee, as well as the implementing partners of the project.
- Contribute to attainment of the objectives of the action by meeting individual targets through efficient and effective means, and in consideration of the specified rules.
- Oversee and coordinate the project’s support towards the revenue information system of the city
- Establish a project-level budget monitoring, reporting and accounting system, including reporting forms and filling system for the project, in accordance with the project requirements
- Enter financial transactions into the computerised project accounting system Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and keep a file of all completed reconciliation
- Prepare and present accounts, financial statements and other requirements for auditing and be responsible for responses to audit queries.
- Process payments, file and archive all relevant documents, including vouchers, invoices;
- Develop and update budget status reports, monthly and quarterly financial progress reports; Prepare final accounts and reports of the project
- Maintain petty cash transactions. This includes writing of receipts, preparation of payment request form, receipt and disbursement of cash and clearance of advances
- Maintain inventory of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials;
- The position requires work of a conceptual, analytical, innovative and advisory nature, at the higher professional level. It, therefore, necessitates sound financial management and accounting knowledge and skills.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a university degree or post graduate qualification or professional course in the fields of Accounts, Finance, Audit or any relevant business related field from a recognised education institution.
- Five years of professional experience in accounting in a reputable entity
- Proven ability to manage project accounts and finances, in a relatively large organisation/project
- In depth knowledge of accounts and comprehensive understanding of financial management
- Possession of report writing and situational analysis skills with demonstrated experience in preparation of books of accounts, financial reports and budget variance analysis.
- Strong ability to communicate in English;
- Proven ability to collaborate well and to deliver work in a timely manner.
- Work experience with MS Office applications, with high proficiency is spreadsheet, is a must
- Past experience in the use of finance management and information systems, is a must.
- Geographical knowledge of the project area will be of added advantage.
- Experience with donor funded projects will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
Please clearly state the position being applied for, in the application heading or subject line and include telephone contact details below your signature and name.
Please submit, by email, to the following addressee, your hand written and signed application letter along with:
- An up to-date curriculum vitae;
- Recent passport photograph;
- Motivational letter (Not more than 1 page);
- Copies of educational certificates and
- Copies of proof of work/engagement experience
The Secretary General
United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) 22, Esaadyine Street 10020, Rabat-Hassan, Morocco
For the Attention of Mr. Mohammed Nbou, on the following email address, Mnbou@uclga.org With a copy to the following addresses MJnyende@uclga.org, Nbennani@uclga.org
The successful candidates will be contacted through the emailed used in submitting the application. Those that will not have been contacted within 30 days following the application deadline, should regard themselves unsuccessful.
Please note that the application letter, curriculum vitae and; motivational letter should be written in English.
Deadline: 23rd February 2021, by 10.00am (GMT)
- Salary Offer 0-ush-5000000 UGX Array Month
- Address Jinja, Eastern Region, Uganda